2 - 2
Full Time


Spennymoor claimed a deserved point after a thrilling second half at Edgar Street on the opening day of the season.

Jason Ainsley named five of his six summer signings in the starting line-up, with Nathan Buddle, Carl Magnay, Ben McKenna, Dan Ward and James Roberts playing alongside the spine of last season’s team.

The game began in typically cagey fashion given the first day of the season circumstances, with Jordan Nicolson going close with a fizzing effort from the edge of the area, but Matt Gould was sharp enough to tip it wide.

Former Darlington striker Nicholson, playing alongside fellow former Quaker Reece Styche, opened the scoring midway through the half.

Buddle’s clearance went only as far Rowan Liburd who held off one challenge before laying it to Nicholson. The tricky attacker skipped past the challenge of Magnay before converting past Gould via a deflection.

Moors responded well, maintaining possession and carving out a chance for Glen Taylor, but his header was directly at Brandon Hall.

Gould was called into action again five minutes before half-time as the duel between himself nd Nicholson continued. This time, the Hereford man fired a long range effort – which was goal bound – which forced Gould into a smart stop.

The half ended with a controversial moment as Taylor seemed to have been flattened by a Hereford defender shortly after Styche attempted to provoke Buddle into a tussle.

It was the home side who were the sharper after the interval, going close through Raheem Hanley following a rampant run down the left. His eventual shot was bent wide of Gould’s far post.

After Hereford threatened again through a Liburd strike from a tight angle, Moors were suddenly back in the game after a composed finish from Johnson.

Martin Riley went down under minimal contact from Roberts who drove towards the area, eventually finding the perfectly placed winger who swept the ball past Hall.

With the momentum now firmly shifted in favour of Moors, Taylor capitalised on another defensive error by Hereford – this time by Culliane-Liburd – to score his first goal of the season.

There was still a significant amount to do when the striker picked up the ball at a tight angle on his weaker foot, but he steered a delicious effort into the far corner past Hall, who stood helpless.

However, in what was on a fairly drab contest, the home side burst back through substitute Tom Owen-Evans just four minutes later.

Hanley collected the ball from a deep cross and took a touch away from his marker before drilling a cross into the goalmouth. Owen-Evans was in the right place to head in from point blank range.

More to follow.


2Jared Hodgkiss Defender 39'
7Jordan Nicholson Forward 26'
16Tom Owen-Evans Midfielder 79'
  2 1


1Matthew Gould Goalkeeper
2Carl Magnay Defender
3Shane Henry Midfielder
4Jamie Chandler Midfielder
5Nathan Buddle Defender
6James Curtis Defender
7Ben McKenna Midfielder
8Dan Ward Midfielder
9Glen Taylor Forward 75'
10James Roberts Forward
11Andrew Johnson 17 Midfielder 61'
15Mark Anderson Midfielder
16Adam Boyes Forward
17Ryan Hall 11 Midfielder
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome


Date Time Competition Season Attendance
3rd August 2019 3:00 pm National League North 2019/20 2707


Edgar Street
8 Edgar St, Hereford HR4 9YJ, UK

Past Meetings

The Brewery Field

Attendance: 830
Edgar Street

Attendance: 2159