1 - 1
Full Time

Darlington FC KO Spennymoor Town KO 4 21 23 39 57 86 FT


Gary Brown 57'
Phillip Turnbull 39'
  1 2

Spennymoor Town FC

David Foley Forward 23'
James Curtis Defender 21'
Jamie Chandler Midfielder 86'
  1 2
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


David Foley fires in his second goal of the season. Photo courtesy of David Nelson.

Spennymoor had to settle for a point in the battle of the North-East clubs as Gary Brown’s header cancelled out David Foley’s blistering strike.

Foley scored his second of the season midway through the first half when he slammed a shot past Adam Bartlett from a tight angle.

The home side grew into the game in the second half and equalised when Dan Lowson misjudged a lofted free-kick into the area, allowing Gary Brown to nod into an empty net.

Spennymoor had chances to win it in the final ten minutes but were forced to settle for their second consecutive 1-1 draw.

The frantic tone for the game was set early on when Gary Brown clattered into the back of Glen Taylor and received a yellow card with only four minutes gone.

A heated and scrappy opening twenty minutes passed before the game burst into life, with Mark Beck rising high to fire a header towards goal which was brilliantly kept out by Dan Lowson.

Less than a minute later, Moors broke, and when Foley found space on the left, he made a yard of space and slammed an unstoppable shot past Adam Bartlett from a tight angle.

Stephen Thompson had the chance to level but he skewed his shot wide after Lowson parried a high ball, before Terrence Galbraith fired wide of the far post.

Spennymoor almost doubled their advantage just before the break when Glen Taylor cleverly flicked around the corner to Ryan Hall, but the winger was denied by Bartlett before Kallum Griffiths blazed over the rebound.

Darlington applied more pressure at the start of the second half and were level after a route one free-kick was missed by Lowson. Brown snuck in and nodded into an empty net to send the home fans into raptures.

Spennymoor were forced to contest more high balls launched into their penalty box as the home side continued to use route one tactics in an attempt to win the game.

Andrew Johnson had a rare chance on the day when he was found by Glen Taylor in the six-yard box, but Bartlett stopped his shot from rolling over the line.

The introduction of Jake Orrell swung the game firmly back in Spennymoor’s favour, with the nippy forward racing clear and stinging the palms of Bartlett soon after coming on.

Rob Ramshaw then burst down the right flank and squared for Orrell who was set to tap into an empty net, but Dan Collins stuck out a leg and made a vital interception.

Ramshaw had one final chance to win the local bragging rights for Spennymoor, but his fierce shot on the bounce went inches wide of Bartlett’s right-hand post.

The result means Moors have picked up two points from a possible six over the bank holiday weekend. They face Gainsborough Trinity at The Brewery Field on Saturday.

Attendance: 2,050 (378)


Darlington (4-4-2): Bartlett, Marrs, Ferguson, Galbraith, Collins, Brown, Thompson (Fenwick, 75), Turnbull, Beck, Gillies (Caton 77), Syers (Portas 77). Subs not used: Wheatley, Wilczynski

Spennymoor Town (4-2-3-1): Lowson, Griffiths, Tait, Curtis, Chantler, Chandler, Ramshaw, Hall (Henry 50), Johnson (Orrell 75), Foley, Taylor. Subs not used: Mason, Porter, Anderson



Date Time League Season
28th August 2017 3:00 pm National League North 2017/18


Blackwell Meadows
Blackwell Meadows, Grange Rd, Darlington DL1 5NR, UK