Vanarama National League North
2 - 6
Full Time


A resounding second half performance, aided by four Glen Taylor goals, secured Spennymoor’s place in the hat for the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

With the game level 2-2 at the break, a clinical Moors put the hosts to the sword with four second half goals, and, on a day when a combined 38 shots were fired in from both sides, the scoreline could have been even greater.

Moors made the perfect start to the afternoon and led at Hurst Cross in the opening four minutes. A long ball over the top from Rob Ramshaw found the onside Taylor who chipped the ball over Lloyd Allinson before volleying into an empty net.

However, the home side, buoyed by a 4-0 win at Grantham on Tuesday evening, almost struck back immediately when Matt Gould denied Sam Sheridan, with a combination of James Curtis and Chris Mason denying Tames on the follow up.

That pressure told after nine minutes when a long ball over the top found Ionut-Casian Anghel, and the winger kept his cool with a silky touch before placing it past Gould.

The frantic early tempo and intensity didn’t let off and Moors went close to a second when Allinson saved James Roberts’ near post effort, but at the other end, Steven Tames came within inches of putting the home side ahead when his header struck the post.

With the momentum now firmly shifted in their favour, the impressive Anghel turned provider as Ashton took the lead, skipping past Curtis and squaring to Tames to slide in from close range.

With the game more open than both managers would like, the contest finally settled down after a event-laden opening twenty minutes, however, Roberts was able to sting the palms of Allinson with a drive from the edge of the box.

The action picked up once again and Ramshaw was heavily involved in Moors’ attacking play after switching roles with Ward.

First he toe-poked a shot from a tight angle wide after Allinson had saved his initial effort, before the keeper won the battle once again after the midfielder was played through one-on-one.

Ashton came close to extending their lead between those respective Ramshaw opportunities through Sheridan when his effort was deflected wide from close range after another mazy run down the left from Anghel.

With the game heading towards the interval, Moors hit Ashton on the break when Ben McKenna flicked the ball over the top for Ramshaw who kept his cool and slipped a shot past Allinson.

The tempo from the first half showed no signs of slowing down as Moors flew out of the traps and retook the lead through Taylor.

McKenna’s deep cross to the back post found Roberts who kept the chance alive with a neat cut back, and his pass found Taylor who rifled it high into the net.

Moors had three golden chances within five minutes of retaking the initiative, but Taylor’s lob bobble wide before Chandler was denied on the line by a goal saving clearance. McKenna, who had the goal at his mercy, blasted the rebound high over the bar.

At that stage it seemed as if Spennymoor would go on to pull away from the plucky home side, but Gould was soon forced into a super save when he pushed Anghel’s effort wide of the post, before Jordan Slew struck the post after escaping the attention of the Moors defence.

However, Moors finally secured the breathing space they had been threatening when Taylor tapped into an empty net after McKenna’s cut back sliced open the Ashton backline.

Ashton’s efforts to get back into the game proved fruitless as Moors stamped their National League North quality on the contest. Allinson, who had been involved in a number of the games flash points, pulled back Taylor in the penalty area, but he made amends when he guessed right to deny the striker a fourth of the game.

That did little to dampen Taylor’s confidence and the striker added to his personal collection with a fierce drive into the far corner just a minute later.

With the home side committing bodies forward and desperately looking to claw their way back into the match, Moors hit them on the counter on numerous occasions, eventually finding a sixth when substitutes Adam Boyes and Mark Anderson combined, with the latter tapping in from two yards out.

Moors will find out their opponents for the next round on Monday when the draw is made.

Ashton Utd

8Liam Tomsett Midfielder
6Sam Sheridan Midfielder
15Simon Woodford Defender
Simon Woodford Defender


1Matthew Gould Goalkeeper
2Carl Magnay Defender
3Christopher Mason Defender
4Jamie Chandler 14 Midfielder
5Nathan Buddle Defender
6James Curtis Defender
7Dan Ward Midfielder
8Robert Ramshaw Midfielder 43'
9Glen Taylor 16 Forward 4', 47', 64', 76'
10James Roberts Forward
11Ben McKenna 15 Midfielder
14Mark Anderson 4 Midfielder 84'
15Gavin Cogdon 11 Forward
16Adam Boyes 9 Forward
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Ashton Utd202Loss


Date Time Competition Season
5th October 2019 3:00 pm Emirates FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round 2019/20


Hurst Cross
2 Surrey St, Ashton-under-Lyne OL6 8DY, UK

Past Meetings

Surrey St

The Brewery Field

Attendance: 708
©2018 Spennymoor Town FC | Site designed by The Great Annual Savings Group