5 - 0
Full Time


Spennymoor Town produced a clinical and dominant performance to brush aside an Ashton United outfit who had won their previous four in all competitions.

Fresh from a rare weekend off, Moors were the sharper of the sides throughout a one-sided affair, showcasing their play-off credentials with a near perfect first half display.

James Curtis headed Jason Ainsley’s side into an early lead on nine minutes, glancing an effort past Jan Budzt, before Shane Henry became the second player to reap the rewards of a superb Mark Anderson delivery, powering past a helpless Ashton goalkeeper.

Two became three seconds before the interval when the sensational Anderson bent a delicious free kick round the wall and into the bottom corner, capping off a wonderful first half showing.

The second half saw the visitors apply more pressure to Matt Gould’s goal, but without any real threat, and they were carved open once again when Rob Ramshaw’s inch-perfect through ball found substitute Andrew Johnson, who kept his cool to make it four.

Another man from the bench, Adam Boyes, who has made a habit of scoring late as a sub this season, applied the icing on top of the already satisfying cake when he fired low past Budzt.

Moors were in imperious form in the first half and went ahead after nine minutes following a bright opening spell from Ashton.

Aaron Chalmers headed wide at one end, before Anderson swung in a corner to the near post moments later, allowing Curtis to plant a header beyond Jan Budtz for his fourth goal for the club.

Despite dominating for large spells of the first half Moors had Gould to thank when he clawed away a goal bound curling effort from Bradley Jackson, but in truth, the Spennymoor shot stopper was rarely called into action.

The advantage was doubled just after the half hour mark when Anderson drilled a fizzing corner to the back post, allowing the unmarked Henry to score his second goal of the campaign.

As the half time whistle approached Glen Taylor was scythed down on the edge of the area, allowing Anderson to net his sixth goal of the season, picking his spot from the free kick and arrowing it past a helpless Budzt.

Ashton opted to make a quick double substitution in the second half and one of their new arrivals, Luke Ashworth, had the away side’s best chance, but he could only glance a header wide of the post from six yards.

That miss was to prove costly for Ashton as Moors went up the other end and made it four. Anderson was once again the architect, threading a ball through to Johnson, who fired into the corner for his second strike of the season.

There were chances to increase the lead, but the final say, as it has done so often this season, went to Boyes. After replacing Taylor with twenty minutes to play, the striker swivelled in the area before finding the bottom corner.

The result means Moors jump up one place to third in the league having won six of their previous seven league games.


1Matthew Gould Goalkeeper
2Jake Hibbs Midfielder
3Stephen Brogan Defender 89'
4Jamie Chandler Midfielder
6James Curtis Defender 9'
8Shane Henry 14 Midfielder 31'
9Glen Taylor 16 Forward
10Robert Ramshaw Midfielder
11Mark Anderson Midfielder 45'
14Andrew Johnson 8 Midfielder 59'
15Ryan Hall 7 Midfielder
16Adam Boyes 9 Forward 87'
  5 1

Ashton Utd

1Jan Budzt Goalkeeper
2Harrison Holgate Defender
3Matthew Regan Defender
4Aaron Chalmers Defender
5Lewis Baines Defender
6Sam Sheridan Defender
7Mark Lees Midfielder
8Bradley Jackson Midfielder
9Liam Tomsett Midfielder
10Jordan Sangha Forward
11Ramirez Howarth Forward
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Ashton Utd000Loss


Date Time Competition Season Attendance
13th October 2018 3:00 pm National League North 2018/19 708


The Brewery Field
156 Wood Vue, Spennymoor DL16 6RH, UK