4 - 0
Full Time


A professional performance from Spennymoor Town saw them outclass Barwell to progress in the FA Trophy, winning 4-0 at the Brewery Field in freezing conditions.

Braces from Glen Taylor and Mark Anderson saw off a sharp-looking Barwell, who threatened themselves early on.

Taylor had two simple finishes to fire the Moors ahead.  Ryan Hall’s delicious cross in the first half saw him head neatly beyond Liam Castle.

A slick move down the right saw Ramshaw feed the home side’s top scorer to tap in his second goal of the game from eight yards shortly after the restart, before Mark Anderson finished off Hall’s effort, which was trickling in beyond Castle.

The midfielder grabbed his second of the game when a poor Castle clearance dropped to him 40 yards out, which he finished expertly to send the Moors through to the second round.

Spennymoor opened the visitors up as early as the second minute when Hall went through on goal, but Liam Castle stood tall in the one-on-one situation to deny the pacey wide man.

The first 12 minutes was very open.  A Barwell counter attack saw Brady Hickey find space in the right-hand channel. His delivery picked out Jahvan Davidson-Miler at the back post, but his bicycle-kick fell inches wide of Gould’s upright.

The Moors’ quality showed on 26 minutes after a spell of dangerous possession.  Ryan Hall crossed from deep and Taylor slammed a seven-yard header beyond Castle.

Barwell stayed in the game and had a big opportunity to equalise on 37 minutes as Davidson-Miller accelerated away from the defence.  He cut back onto his left, but Gould did enough to save his strike.

Within minutes of restart, Barwell thought themselves unlucky as Gascoigne nodded a deep cross onto the foot of the Spennymoor post, but the flag went up for the ball drifting out of play mid-air before the visitors could capitalise.

But it was Spennymoor who bagged the next goal on 51 minutes.  Hibbs played a great ball into the right-hand channel, allowing Ramshaw to clear the defence.  His pull back was meat and drink for Taylor to bag his second of the game and give Barwell a mountain to climb.

The visitors seemed to lose their discipline after that.  Elliott Percival was lucky to stay on the pitch after kicking Spennymoor goalkeeper Matt Gould in the face, whilst Davidson-Miller clattered James Curtis after the ball had gone on the touchline.  Both entered Mr Smith’s book.

Spennymoor’s progression to the second round was wrapped up by Mark Anderson on 65 minutes when Ryan Hall again found space in the area.  His shot squirmed under Castle and was rounded off by Anderson.

But Anderson wasn’t finished.  When substitute Boyes forced Castle out of his goal to make a clearance, it fell straight to the Moors playmaker, who finished from 40 yards with his first touch. Not bad on his wrong foot and a nice way for the Moors to put the icing on the cake.


1Matthew Gould Goalkeeper
2Jake Hibbs Midfielder
3Stephen Brogan 16 Defender
4Jamie Chandler Midfielder
6James Curtis Defender
7Ryan Hall 14 Midfielder
8Shane Henry Midfielder
9Glen Taylor 15 Forward 26', 51'
10Robert Ramshaw Midfielder
11Mark Anderson Midfielder 65', 76'
15Andrew Johnson 9 Midfielder
16Adam Boyes 3 Forward
  4 3


1Liam Castle Goalkeeper
2Jean-Ruben Desrosiers Defender
3Eliot Putman Defender
4Brad Gascoigne Defender
5Exodus Geohaghon 12 Defender
6Elliott Percival Defender 54'
8Rob Morgan 14 Midfielder 85'
7Nigel Julien Midfielder 65'
9Massiah McDonald Forward
10Brady Hickey Midfielder
11Jahvan Davidson-Miller Forward 56'
12Jai Rowe 5 Defender
13Liam Cross Defender
14Quentin Albertus 8 Midfielder
15Luke McGinnell Midfielder
16Guy Hadland Forward
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome


Date Time Competition Season Attendance
15th December 2018 3:00 pm Buildbase FA Trophy 2018/19 295


The Brewery Field
156 Wood Vue, Spennymoor DL16 6RH, UK