2 - 0
Full Time



Spennymoor Town put in a solid performance to claim back-to-back victories over August bank holiday weekend with a 2-0 win over FC United of Manchester at The Brewery Field.

The result moves Spennymoor up to 12thin the table and manager Jason Ainsley will hope it can be the catalyst to kick-start their promotion push.

Ainsley named an un-changed side from the win at Boston United and the players picked up where they left off two days earlier.

Glen Taylor smashed the Moors into the lead from the penalty spot after Andrew Johnson had been hauled down in the box by Chris Lynch.

They should have been out of sight by half time, but it took until injury time for Ryan Hall to find fellow substitute Adam Boyes in the six-yard box and double the lead to secure the three points.

Andrew Johnson takes on FC United’s Sam Baird. Photo by David Nelson.

The first real chance of the match came on 18 minutes.  Jake Hibbs played a beautiful slide-rule ball down the right, taking the entire United defence out the game.  Taylor raced clear and looked to have a one-on-one, before an untimely stumble allowed Chris Lynch to catch up and deflect his strike onto the post.

By this point Moors were firmly in the ascendancy and were getting closer to taking the lead.  Shane Henry forced goalkeeper Billy Crellin into a rushed punch clear from the edge of his box, which allowed Andrew Johnson to loop a lob over Crellin and just over the bar.

Spennymoor worked a clear opening on 27 minutes as good work in the centre from Tuton found Ramshaw in a useful position between the lines.  He slid Glen Taylor into the right-hand channel inside the box, who struck a clean shot across goal, inches wide of the left-hand post.

Taylor went one better and hit the target on 34 minutes.  Ramshaw’s sliced volley inadvertently played Taylor into the right-hand channel again.  His venomous right-footed volley was crucially saved by Crellin.

Moors kept getting closer and Crellin produced his best save of the game to deny the hosts a sumptuous opener on 43 minutes.  Ramshaw’s ball found Taylor 30 yards out.  His flick around the corner was laser-guided to Tuton, whose first-time return played Taylor in on goal for the third time in the match.  He looked destined to break the deadlock, but the ‘keeper stayed big and saved with his chest.  A fine effort and a great save.

Adam Boyes seals the win with his second goal for the club. Photo by David Nelson.

FC United’s best spell of the game came at the start of the second half.  Wing-back Joel Logan made inroads a number of times down the left, giving Jake Hibbs plenty to think about.  On 50 minutes he found Jack Bannister, who charged into the box and shot left-footed, only to see the tireless Jamie Chandler deflect it wide with a crucial block.

Moors’ passing and movement, orchestrated by Ramshaw, finally reaped dividends on 58 minutes.  Taylor turned a neat ball around the corner to play Johnson through on goal.  He was hauled down in the box by Sam Baird for a clear penalty.

Taylor stepped up and absolutely blasted Spennymoor into the lead with a smash straight down the middle of the goal for his fourth of the season.

FC United player-manager Tom Greaves almost equalised a couple of minutes later as a neat turn on the edge of the box lost Rob Atkinson, but the big centre-back recovered brilliantly to block the shot out for a corner.

Atkinson almost came good at the other end in the 70thminute as he got on the end of a Taylor knock-down from a corner, but could only prod wide of the upright.

Moors should have wrapped it up on 73 minutes when Taylor did brilliantly to win the ball back in the final third.  His pull-back found the charging Shane Henry eight yards out, but his legs seemed to tangle and he couldn’t tap it home.

Moors saw the game out comfortably, but crowned the victory with a second goal on 90 minutes when substitute Ryan Hall was released down the right wing.  He motored into the box and whipped the ball onto the boot of fellow substitute Adam Boyes, who couldn’t miss from three yards.

Overall it was a comfortable day’s work for Spennymoor, who only had one shaky moment all game and could, perhaps should, have scored plenty more.


1Matthew Gould Goalkeeper
2Jake Hibbs Midfielder
3Stephen Brogan Defender 90'
4Jamie Chandler Midfielder
6James Curtis Defender
8Shane Henry Midfielder
9Glen Taylor 16 Forward 59 (pen
10Robert Ramshaw Midfielder
11Andrew Johnson 15 Midfielder
15Ryan Hall 11 Midfielder 75'
16Adam Boyes 9 Forward 89'
  2 2

United of Manchester

1Billy Crellin Defender
2Samuel Tattum Defender
3Stephen O’Halloran Defender
4Scott Kay Midfielder 65'
5Chris Lynch Defender
6Sam Baird Defender 57'
7Jack Banister 12 Midfielder
8Harry Winter 14 Midfielder
9Tom Greaves Forward
10Kurt Willoughby Forward
11Joel Logan 15 Midfielder
12Brodie Litchfield 7 Forward
14Jamal Crawford 8 Midfielder
15Elliot Jorge Simoes Inacio 11 Forward
16Liam Dickinson Forward
17Steve Affleck Defender
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
United of Manchester000Loss


Date Time Competition Season Attendance
27th August 2018 3:00 pm National League North 2018/19 863


The Brewery Field
156 Wood Vue, Spennymoor DL16 6RH, UK

Past Meetings