2 - 0
Full Time


Two goals in the space of two minutes saw Spennymoor exit the Durham Challenge Cup at the first hurdle on a disappointing night at Stockton Town.

The Northern League outfit deservedly progressed to the Second Round, profiting from an own goal by Callum Williams before substitute Peter Bulmer curled in moments later.

Moors struggled to create chances on a night of frustration, with former Stockton winger Kevin Hayes going closest in the first minute of the tie.

Liam Clough and Gary Farley opted to use a mixture of first team and youth players, with the experienced central defensive pair of Rob Atkinson and James Curtis being joined by Callum Williams and goalkeeper Christopher Elliott, who made his first start for the club, along with full back Jack Howe.

Shane Henry played alongside Max Russell in midfield, with James Thompson and Haye occupying the wide roles. Promising 17-year-old central attacking midfielder David Webb played behind lone striker Adam Boyes, who featured from the start for the first time since August 18th.

Moors had a golden chance to take the lead inside two minutes when the returning Hayes was played in on goal, but the FA Vase finalist could only slide his effort past the post.

Webb, who was a bright spark throughout the evening with his positivity, showed his class when he threaded an inch perfect ball through to fellow youngster Thompson, but his cross was blocked by Adam Nicholson.

An even contest developed, and it became evident that Stockton’s marauding full back and former Moors player James Risbrough was the home sides best attacking outlet, continually bursting forward and testing Howe.

A tight and cagey second half followed a goalless opening 45 minutes, but it was the home side who continued to be the more complete unit, with Moors regularly squandering possession.

The deadlock was broken 13 minutes from time and it was Williams, who made his first appearance since suffering an injury against AFC Telford on August 18th, who sliced into his own net following a low and driven cross from the left.

Bulmer added a second for Stockton before the dust had settled from the opener, collecting the ball on the edge of the area before creating space and curling a finessed shot past the outstretced arm of Elliott.

Hayes almost netted a superb late consolation strike, but his long range free kick struck the top of the bar just before the referee signalled the end of the game.

Stockton Town FC

1Michael Arthur Goalkeeper
2Dale Mulligan Defender
3James Risbrough Midfielder 44'
4Jake Petitjean 15 Midfielder
5Adam Nicholson Defender
6Tom Coulthard Defender
7Michael Garrett Midfielder
8Max Craggs Midfielder
9Michael Roberts Forward
10Chris Stockton 14 Forward
11Nathan Mulligan 12 Forward
12Peter Bulmer 11 Forward 79'
14Sonni Coleman 10 Forward
15James Ward 4 Midfielder
16Shahban Mohammed Midfielder
17Joe Carter Forward
  1 1


6James Curtis Defender
8Shane Henry 15 Midfielder
9Adam Boyes Forward
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Stockton Town FC022Win


Date Time Competition Season
24th October 2018 7:45 pm Durham Challenge Cup 2018/19


Bishopton Road West
38 Bishopton Rd W, Stockton-on-Tees TS19 0QD, UK

Past Meetings

Bishopton Road West