1 - 1
Full Time


A superb Mark Anderson free-kick cancelled out Kevin Hayes’ swerving first half strike as Moors opened pre season with a competitive draw against Stockton Town.

Anderson, who had only been introduced two minutes prior, lifted the ball over the wall and beyond the keeper during a second half which saw wholesale changes.

Hayes, who spent three months at The Brewery Field at the start of the 2018/19 campaign, capped off a dazzling first half showing with a terrific opener on the half hour mark.

Rees Greenwood was up against Lewis King in the second half.

Moors returned from the summer break with a host of new faces, however, the starting eleven had a familiar feel, with a large portion of the side who started at Chorley in the play-off final in May featuring.

Glen Taylor was absent following surgery on his knee over the summer, albeit only as a precaution.

The match began on a worrying note as after just 10 minutes of action, Scott Harrison overstretched and went down clutching his knee. After a few minutes of treatment the defender was stretchered off, plunging his pre-season into doubt.

It was The Anchors who were the dominant force in the first 45 minutes, causing Moors problems through the trickery of Hayes and positivity of fellow former Moor James Risbrough.

The Northern League outfit boasted plenty of familiar faces, but it was the previously mentioned Risbrough and Hayes who combined for the game’s first goal.

Risbrough, who was part of the promotion winning squad of 2016, beat Callum Williams before teeing up Hayes who swept home past a despairing Matt Gould.

Moors struggled to create openings until Williams’ cross found Andrew Johnson. The winger found Ben McKenna who saw his low effort saved by an inspired goalkeeper, then James Roberts’ follow up from close range was also stopped.

Ainsley rang the changes at half time, brining on Gavin Codgon, Adam Boyes, Dan Ward, Rees Greenwood, a trialist and Anderson.

Greenwood, who began life on the left of the midfield, began confidently and caused another former Moors player, Lewis King, a host of problems, winning a free kick and allowing Anderson a chance to test the keeper.

The midfielder July obliged and bent a delicious set-piece into the top corner, giving the large contingent of travelling Moors fans something to shout about.

Moors went close on several occasions as the match drew to its conclusion, with Cogdon going the closest with a drive from the edge of the box which struck the bar.

James Roberts featured for Moors in the first half.

Stockton Town FC

7Kevin Hayes Forward 30'


1Matthew Gould 13 Goalkeeper
3Stephen Brogan Defender
4Jamie Chandler 14 Midfielder
5Scott Harrison 16 Defender
6James Curtis Defender
7Ben McKenna 17 Midfielder
8Shane Henry 18 Midfielder
9James Roberts 19 Forward
10Robert Ramshaw Midfielder
11Andrew Johnson 15 Midfielder
13Trialist 1 1
14Mark Anderson 4 Midfielder 47'
15Dan Ward 11 Midfielder
16Trialist 2 5
17Gavin Cogdon 7 Forward
19Adam Boyes 9 Forward
Clean Sheet
Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Stockton Town FC101Draw


Date Time Competition Season Attendance
3rd July 2019 7:45 pm Pre Season 2019/20 427


Bishopton Road West
38 Bishopton Rd W, Stockton-on-Tees TS19 0QD, UK

Past Meetings

Bishopton Road West

Bishopton Road West