Unbeaten start continues

Saturday 7th November 2020  |  The Brewery Field  |  National League North


Final Score

Spencer 54

Taylor 86 (pen)

McClure 66 

Asante 82

Match Report

Moors maintained their unbeaten start to the league season after an enthralling second half against Gloucester

Akwasi Asante’s close range effort looked to have secured a fifth consecutive win for The Tigers eight minutes from time, only for Glen Taylor to net his sixth goal of the campaign from the penalty spot four minutes before full-time.

A bright opening saw Moors race out of the blocks following a three-week break, with Rob Ramshaw proving a menace for a physically imposing Gloucester defence.

The Tigers picked up the first yellow card of the contest after Kevin Dawson slid in late on Ryan Hall, with the visitors looking to adjust to the pace of the contest following a late arrival to The Brewery Field.

However, Matt McClure, who has already netted five times this campaign, almost gave Gloucester the lead with a rasping shot from distance, but his strike hit the side netting.

Moors struggled to carve out openings in the first thirty minutes, with Glen Taylor’s skewed shot from the edge of the area the only shot of note.

Liam Daly had the game’s next opportunity when he connected with a close range free-kick, but his header went the wrong side of the post from a Gloucester perspective

The half shrunk in quality and intensity as the minutes passed, with the referee’s whistle becoming a consistent theme during a scrappy battle in midfield.

Stephen Thompson had Moors’ best chance seconds before the half-time whistle, but his low shot skidded past the post.

Gloucester were adamant they should have been awarded a penalty just after the break, but the referee saw nothing wrong with Nathan Buddle’s collision with Akwasi Asante.

Louie Moulden was called into action for the first time when he was forced to stop Scott McLean’s deflected strike, before the keeper reacted well to deny Taylor from a tight angle.

From the resulting corner, Moors took the lead when Jamie Spencer struck a low shot into the bottom corner after his initial effort was blocked.

It was the midfielder’s first goal for Spennymoor and a reward for a bright opening to the second half.

Moulden, who had little to do in the first half, was becoming increasingly busy, this time being forced to stop another shot from Taylor.

After absorbing a barrage of pressure, Gloucester began to build up a head of steam shortly after the hour mark, with Ben Whittle’s dangerous cross evading everyone in a congested area.

Moors failed to heed that warning and the game was level twenty minutes into the second period, with the prolific McClure tapping in from a George Carline cross.

The game always looked likely to provide another goal, and it was the visitors who grabbed it eight minutes from time, albeit with a touch of controversy.

Carline collided with Adam Blakeman, but the referee saw nothing wrong with the defender’s blatant foul, allowing Kevin Dawson to find the full back. He delivered to the back post where Akwasi Asante fired past Dale Eve.

At that stage it looked as if Moors were about to relinquish their unbeaten start, but just a few minutes later Ramshaw was fouled in the area, allowing Taylor to maintain his record of scoring in every league game this season.

Nathan Buddle almost grabbed another late winner with the last kick of the contest, but his header sailed over the bar.

Line Ups

[table “” not found /]



Man of the Match

James Curtis

A colossal display from Moors' captain who didn't put a foot wrong all afternoon. Commanding and strong in the tackle, Curtis once again showcased his value to the side.

Up Next...

AFC Fylde


Spennymoor Town
Tuesday 10 November 2020
Mill Farm
National League North

Share this post