Unbeaten home record ended

Tuesday 1st December 2020  |  The Brewery Field  |  National League North


Final Score

Kellet 26

Johnson 90

Match Report

Guiseley inflicted a first home defeat of the season on a below-par Spennymoor following a night of frustration at The Brewery Field.

Goals in either half from Adam Kellet and Gabriel Johnson gave The Lions a deserved victory as Moors dropped to 10th in the National League North.

Jason Ainsley made two changes to the side who began Saturday’s 2-2 draw, along with a change in formation.

Frank Mulhern, who made an impressive cameo in the second half against Avenue, started for the first time since signing from Stockport County in the summer, while Jason Kennedy came in for Adriano Moke.

Those alterations saw Rob Ramshaw move to the right hand side, with Ben McKenna dropping to the bench.

The opening exchanges were littered with efforts from distance, with Andy Kellett firing wide for Guiseley and Glen Taylor stinging the palms of Brad Wade from distance.

The Lions should have taken the lead 15 minutes in following a long throw which caused bedlam in the Moors area, but Jonanthan Wafula swiped a shot wide from close range.

Despite their position in the table, the visitors were full of confidence and took the lead following a flowing counter attack which began with a Spennymoor set-piece.

Once Adam Haw burst down the left hand flank the warning signs were ringing for Moors, and once he found Kellet in space, the number 10 had the composure to bury a low shot past Dale Eve.

Moors were noticeably frustrated following a sloppy first half showing, and only a last ditch Nathan Buddle block denied Nathan Newall a goal bound effort shortly after the game’s first goal.

Kennedy had Moors’ only notable effort, spooning a header wide of the post following good work from Jamie Spencer.

The second half saw an immediate reaction as Moors upped their intensity levels, but, it was Guiseley who continued to create the game’s clearest opportunities.

Once again it was a chance carved out on the counter attack. Wafula played a cute pass into the stride of Prince Ekpolo, but, after Eve smothered his heavy touch, only a late slide from James Curtis rebounded Lewis Hey’s effort high over the bar.

Bombarding right back John Lufudu was next to threaten, skipping by Adam Blakeman before testing Eve’s reactions.

That spell of sustained pressure prompted Jason Ainsley to make a double change on the hour mark, with Ryan Hall and McKenna replacing Mulhern and Blakeman.

Despite Hall injecting some much needed life into the performance, Moors continued to flatter to deceive, and Lufudu once again came close when he showed nifty footwork to work room for a shot.

With time ticking away, it was clear that another late goal – a common theme this season – would be required in order to salvage a point.

That goal almost arrived as the game neared injury time when Scott McLean’s drive was only parried on to the bar by Wade, and when the rebound dropped back into the six yard area, it looked as if Taylor would have the simple job of tapping in yet another last ditch equaliser.

However, Guiseley’s keeper showed superb reactions to get to his feet and clear the loose ball, all but confirming the three points for the visitors.

That was not the last of the action on a night to forget for Moors as McLean’s loose pass allowed Johnson to slide in from six yards after Eve had saved an initial effort.


Line Ups

[table “” not found /]



Man of the Match

Ryan Hall

Made a difference after being introduced in the second half but was unable to help Moors fashion a way back into the contest.

Up Next...

Spennymoor Town


Saturday 1st december 2020
The Brewery Field
National League North

Share this post