New era begins with deserved draw

Saturday 12th December 2020  |  Bootham Crescent  |  National League North


Final Score

Woods 5

Taylor 82

Match Report

Tommy Miller’s reign as Spennymoor Town manager began with a positive draw with in-form York City as a new chapter in the clubs history began.

Glen Taylor scored another late equaliser to cancel out Michael Woods’ fifth minute opener, with Moors creating a number of chances to seal all three points.

The afternoon took on greater significance following the departure of Jason Ainsley on Thursday, representing the first game without him in the dugout for 14 years.

The starting XI saw three alterations to the 1-0 defeat at Brackley on Thursday afternoon, with Mark Anderson, Tyler Forbes and Ben McKenna coming in.

Miller’s reign as Spennymoor manager got off to the worst possible start when Dale Eve could only parry Sean Newton’s long range drive, allowing Woods to tap in from six yards out.

Despite appeals of an offside from the Moors defence, a flag wasn’t raised and a tough task prior to kick-off became a lot more difficult.

Moors responded well, creating half chances through Taylor, Joe Tait and Jamie Spencer, but, overall, it was a tight and scrappy opening 20 minute spell. 

The Minstermen, backed by supporters for the first time since March, found themselves pinned back by a slick Moors spell which almost brought a leveller.

Ryan Hall, who has scored in both his appearances for the club at Bootham Crescent, had a shot saved by Pete Jameson before the goalkeeper had to dive at the feet of Rob Ramshaw after a sloppy spell of play.

With York manager Steve Watson urging the referee to blow his half time whistle, Moors created one more chance when Hall drove a spinning effort just wide of the post.

Moors began the second half where they left off, creating half chances through Anderson and Taylor, but were grateful to Tait when he cleared Dyson’s scuffed shot off the line through a sea of bodies.

A crowd of 400 supporters at Bootham Crescent witnessed a much more even second half, with York showing a greater threat, albeit without creating a significant chance.

Miller introduced Stephen Thompson and Frank Mulhern in search of a deserved equaliser, with both contributing towards a strong ten minute spell for Moors.

Mulhern tested Jameson with a stinging drive from distance before Thompson saw two strikes deflected over, with Taylor heading wide from the resulting corner.

With ten minutes remaining, a sloppy pass across his own area from Wright allowed Ramshaw to charge down goal, and when he played the ball inside to Taylor, the ground expected the inevitable equaliser.

Wright, who gifted Moors the chance in the first place, recovered brilliantly to slide in and divert the shot over the bar for a corner.

With time ticking away and deja vu looking to strike again on the road this season, Moors found a deserved equaliser when Taylor rose highest at the back post to claw Moors back into the contest.

The hard work to get back into the game was almost undone instantly as Woods headed against the bar after Jack Redshaw’s lofted cross.

Taylor had one final chance to seal Moors’ second win away from home in the league, but his shot took a nick en route to goal, signalling the final whistle and a deserved point.

Line Ups

[table “” not found /]



Man of the Match

Joe Tait

After coming back into the side at the start of the month, Tait has proven his quality and was a stand out for Moors as he kept York's frontline quiet.

Up Next...

Spennymoor Town


Marske United
The Brewery Field

Share this post