Report: Bishop Auckland 0-9 Spennymoor Town

Taylor 17, 49 (pen), 59, 73  Trialist 40  Trialist 54  Lufudu 63  Anderson 64  Mulhern 90


Glen Taylor helped himself to four goals on a sweltering afternoon in County Durham as Moors put nine past Northern League side Bishop Auckland.

Taylor began the rout, converting a Rob Ramshaw cross just past the quarter of an hour mark, before completing his personal haul in the second half.

Two trialist’s were on the scoresheet, along with John Lufudu, Mark Anderson and Frank Mulhern, who rounded off the scoring with a thunderous long range effort which clipped the bar on its way in.

Tommy Miller named a strong side as Moors were in action for the first time since a win at Bishop’s neighbours, West Auckland, earlier this month, with frustrating cancellations against Doncaster and Barrow damaging pre-season momentum.

Despite a sluggish opening period to the contest, Moors took the initative in tropical conditions when Ramshaw latched on to a pass before squaring to Taylor, with the striker lashing a shot past Bishop’s keeper into the bottom corner.

Moors’ second goal was less glamourous, with Trialist’s corner catching everyone out and embarrassing a static defence by going straight in direct from the set-piece.

That goal, the last before the half-time interval, seemed to dampen the home side’s previously upbeat morale, and the floodgates opened in a one-sided second period.

Taylor won and converted the resulting penalty which took the score line to three, before a second half substitute trialist, who impressed during his 45-minute cameo, clipped in from close range following a corner.

Bishop found themselves surrendering possession with ease as Moors continued to come forward, and following a pinpoint through ball, Taylor kept his composure to dink the ball over an onrushing keeper and complete his hat-trick.

A twelve minute period of attacking domination from Moors was rounded off with a flowing counter attack, ending with Ryan Hall’s low cross being turned in at the back post by the electric Lufudu.

That was Lufudu’s last act, who, along with Ramshaw, was replaced by the duo of Anderson and Mulhern.

Six became seven immediately from the restart, with both substitutes combining with their first touches to allow Anderson to hook into an empty net at the back post.

Not content with three goals for the afternoon, Taylor capitalised on a mix-up between Bishop’s newly introduced goalkeeper and a defender to nick in between the two and slide in from a few yards out.

Mulhern completed the set with the most memorable goal of the game, hammering a stinging shot which thundered past a helpless goalkeeper.

Share this post