Report: Spennymoor Town 2-2 Wrexham AFC

Young 15′  Hyde 50′  Mulhern 53‘  Taylor 75 (pen)’

Spennymoor recovered from a two goal deficit to earn a deserved draw in their final pre-season fixture against National League Wrexham AFC.

Moors began on the front foot with efforts from Ramshaw and Mulhern flying over the bar, but it was the visitors, who are one of the favourites to secure promotion to League Two this season, who took the lead in style.

After Brad Abbott committed a foul on the edge of the area, Luke Young rifled in a pinpoint free-kick which was out of the reach of Dale Eve.

The National League outfit almost doubled their lead when Jake Hyde arrowed a shot marginally wide of the post.

A tepid first half witnessed few chances, with Moors almost benefitting from a freak own goal five minutes from the interval, but Trialist’s attempted back pass hit the wrong side of the post.

Glen Taylor came close from the resulting corner, but his header was blocked before being cleared.

Tommy Miller stuck with the same side as the teams emerged for the second half, but Moors were caught cold as Wrexham doubled their lead three minutes after the restart.

After a super double save from Eve, Jake Hyde eventually was in the right place to fire the ball into an unguarded net.

That second goal spurred Spennymoor into life and there was an immediate response in front of a raucous crowd in the Great Annual Savings North Stand.

After a well worked set-piece, a low ball in was turned in by Frank Mulhern via a slight deflection, providing Moors with the perfect platform to build on.

Miller rang the changes just past the hour to try and capitalise on a spell of dominance, with the quartet of Ryan Hall, Scott McLean, Mark Anderson and Jamie Chandler. 

Those changes had the desired effect as Moors levelled with fifteen minutes remaining after Taylor capitalised on a sloppy Wrexham clearance.

The striker chipped a ball into Ramshaw, who, after seeing his effort saved by the legs of Christian Dibble, was brought down by Young giving the referee no alternative.

Taylor, who struck his penalty against the post against Stocksbridge a week earlier, made no mistake to draw Moors level in an entertaining second half.

Wrexham almost responded in spectacular fashion seconds after the restart when Young launched a shot from just inside Moors’ half, but Eve was alert enough to push it wide.

Despite that long range strike, it was Moors who looked the most threatening, with Christian Dibble denying Taylor’s snap shot with a superb reaction stop.

Carl Magnay almost netted a rare goal from the resulting set-piece, but his header zipped just wide.

Share this post