Report: Spennymoor Town 3-2 Southport

  • Hmami opens scoring for visitors
  • Brad Abbott double turns game around
  • Carver with smart finish seconds before the interval
  • Ramshaw turns in Taylor cross ten minutes from time

Attendance: 1,312

Spennymoor Town 3

Abbott 33, 41

Ramshaw 80

Southport 2

Hmami 16

Carver 45

Rob Ramshaw netted a late winner as Moors overcame Southport in an enthralling encounter in front of over 1,300 supporters.

Tommy Miller named the same starting eleven which began the opening day victory at Boston United, with the only change coming on the bench, with Jason Kennedy replacing Ryan Hall.

Moors, in front of bumper crowd and emerging to a fantastic atmosphere, began sprightly, seeing two shots blocked through Glen Taylor and Rob Ramshaw.

Taylor continued his bright start as Moors looked a cut above the travelling Sandgrounders, but after evading a defender, his effort was once again blocked.

Southport weathered the early Spennymoor storm and began to embed their footprint on the occasion, taking the lead after quarter of an hour.

Marcus Carver was the creator, superbly winning an aerial duel with James Curtis, with Josh Hmami collecting the second ball and slotting beyond Dale Eve.

Moors were unable to react and were glad to see a stoppage in play as Southport captain Russell Benjamin was replaced by Charlie Munro due to an injury.

It was the away side who continued to be the greater threat, with Carver wasting a golden chance to double Port’s lead.

After latching on to a ball through the middle, he attempted to chip Eve who read Carver’s intentions, scooping up a tame effort.

He would live to regret that spurned opportunity minutes later when Moors drew level with their first meaningful burst forward.

Ramshaw played in the overlapping Scott McLean, with the wing back’s cross being prodded in by Brad Abbott for his first goal in a Spennymoor shirt.

That goal gave Moors a much needed boost and the game shifted in momentum immediately, and just seven minutes later, Abbott doubled his personal tally.

Moors caught Southport on the counter, with Ramshaw nicking the ball on the far side before playing a one-two with John Lufudu.

The ball eventually found Abbott who took a touch before fizzing a low shot into the corner past Cameron Mason.

Moors were seconds away from claiming a half-time lead when Carver superbly slotted into the top corner following a knock on from a free-kick.

The high tempo nature of the game continued into the second half, however, Moors were required to make a change ten minutes after the restart when McLean was replaced by Stephen Thompson.

Chances were at a premium in the second half, however, it was Moors who looked the most likely, with Abbott almost completing an unlikely hat-trick with a blocked shot from the edge of the area.

The mounting pressure on the Southport penalty area eventually led to a Moors goal as Miller’s side led for the first time on the afternoon with ten minutes to play.

The move began with a quick free-kick by Carl Magnay which set Taylor free down the left. The striker delayed his cross before spotting Ramshaw in the six yard area, and Moors’ number ten converted from close range.

Moors almost scored a fourth through Taylor, who has a stellar record against Southport, but his shot stung the post.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Lufudu , Magnay, Curtis, Tait, Chandler, Abbott, Moke,  McLean, (Thompson 55), Ramshaw, Taylor.

Subs not used: Flatters, Kennedy, Anderson, Mulhern

Southport: Mason, Vassalo (Watson 66 5), J.Doyle, Benjamin (Munro 26 ), Anson, Tharme; Woods, Carver, Doyle, Hmami (Archer 85), Bainbridge

Subs not used: McMillan, Oliver

Share this post