Report: Hereford 0-2 Spennymoor Town

  • Taylor turns in Ramshaw cross midway through first half
  • Quick counter attack ends with Taylor doubling lead four minutes before half time
  • Moors forced to stay resolute after flurry of Hereford corners
  • First clean sheet of the campaign as Eve saves late penalty

Attendance: 1,725

Hereford 0

Spennymoor 2

Taylor 24, 41

Glen Taylor’s first half double saw Moors halt a run of two straight defeats as they stayed resolute to keep out Hereford at Edgar Street.

Taylor struck twice to give Moors a comfortable lead at the interval, but an improved second half showing from The Bulls required a gutsy defensive display which earned a first clean sheet of the season. 

That shut out almost evaded Spennymoor as the game entered added time , but Dale Eve guessed right and denied substitute Ryan McLean from the penalty spot.

Tommy Miller made one change to the side who were beaten by York City on Bank Holiday Monday, with Brad Abbott returning from illness to replace Frank Mulhern.

The Bulls, who began the season with just two points from a possible twelve, including two home defeat, came out the blocks the quicker.

A low cross was eventually laid off to Tom Owen-Evans, but his tame shot was chested away by the retreating Joe Tait.

Owen-Evans continued to prove an early issue, winning a free-kick which was put over the bar by George Forsyth, before angling an effort at Dale Eve.

Moors’ early pressure was solely down the right hand flank through John Lufudu, but two of his energetic runs were defended by Hereford.

Lufudu continued to roam in acres of space on the right, beating Ryan Lloyd on several occasions, but his final product was left wanting.

A ten minute spell of consistent pressure from Spennymoor finally paid off midway through the half as The Bulls were cut open at ease.

Scott McLean’s ball over the top found Ramshaw in space, and after delaying his initial ball, he found Taylor who struck home his second goal of the season and first from open play.

Moors could smell blood and Taylor almost doubled his personal tally minutes later when his looping header landed on the roof of the net.

The game had now swung firmly in Moors’ favour as Hereford’s backline continued to look frail and porous, and four minutes before the break, Taylor doubled the lead.

A sloppy pass was mopped up by Adriano Moke who drove forward before finding Taylor, with the striker slamming a low shot past Hall.

Hereford Manager Josh Gowling made two changes for the home side at the break in an attempt to stem the flow of Spennymoor pressure, with Mitch Hancox and Ryan McLean entering the action.

The changes made an impact as the home side began to pin Moors back after the restart, but superb defending from James Curtis denied a powerful George Forsyth shot.

The game developed into a Hereford corner-fest as the home side raised the intensity that was sorely lacking in the first period, however, Moors remained resolute and held on to their lead past the hour mark.

Hereford dominated the second half without creating a glaring opportunity, with Dan Smith’s swivel and shot six minutes from time the only true test for Eve.

Smith came close one minute from time when he flashed a header wide, before Lufudu committed a foul to give Hereford the chance to claim a late consolation.

Half time substitute McLean was given the task of beating Eve, but Moors number one dove to his left to seal a vital clean sheet.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Lufudu, Curtis (c), Tait, Magnay, McLean, Chandler, Abbott, Moke (Hall 76), Ramshaw, Taylor.

Subs not used: Thompson, Anderson, Kennedy, Flatters

Hereford: Hall, Hodgkiss (C), Haines, Forsyth, Ismael (Kouhyar 80), Owen-Evans (Hancox 45), Storey, Lloyd, Pollock, Klukowski (McLean 45), Smith.

Subs not used: Fini, Whittingham

Share this post