Report: AFC Fylde 1-1 Spennymoor Town

afc fylde 1

Haughton 58

Saturday 18 September 2021


Mill Farm

Emirates FA Cup Second Round Qualifying

spennymoor town 1

Abbott 50

  • Abbott scores third goal of season to give Moors lead
  • Haughton strike levels
  • Taylor with chance to win tie late on
  • Replay at The Brewery Field on Tuesday evening

Spennymoor remain in the hat for the Emirates FA Cup but must come through a replay at The Brewery Field following a 1-1 draw with AFC Fylde.

Brad Abbott’s excellent strike five minutes into the second half sparked a previously dour contents into life, with Nick Haughton’s well placed effort levelling proceedings eight minutes later.

Moors had chances to progress to the next round late on, but Glen Taylor saw his stinging shot tipped over the bar.

Unsurprisingly, Tommy Miller named an unchanged side from the 6-0 league win over Farsley Celtic a week previous, with the only addition seeing youth player Charlie Hindson take a spot on the bench.

Against the backdrop of Mill Farm and in front of a crowd of 750 supporters, the first half featured little in the way of goalmouth action.

John Lufudu’s excellent last ditch block denied Ben Tollitt early on the hosts, before Taylor fizzed a long range effort wide of Chris Neal’s post.

The main talking point of the first 45 minutes arrived shortly before the whistle, with Lufudu being forced to leave the field after a foul.

Ryan Hall took Lufudu’s place for the second half as the game eventually began to open up.

It was Abbott, who just picked up the August Player of the Month award, who delivered the contest’s first moment of quality, firing a pinpoint shot into the bottom corner past Neal.

That goal, greeted with bedlam in the away end which housed a healthy contingent of travelling Moors fans, gave Spennymoor momentum as they went in search for an instant second goal.

Scott McLean almost grabbed it, but his shot, albeit on his weaker foot, sailed wide of the post.

Fylde, who had rarely threatened the goal of Dale Eve, levelled two minutes before the hour mark as Nick Haughton cushioned a ball across the area before planting a shot into the top corner.

A cup tie which lacked intensity suddenly sprang into life with both sides searching for a clinching goal and passage to the Third Qualifying Round.

Eve remained untroubled despite a series of Fylde openings, and it was Moors who had the finest chance to win the tie.

The lively substitute Stephen Thompson played in Taylor who opted to the strike first time, stinging the palms of Neal and winning a corner.

Joe Tait had a late opportunity with a looping header at the back post, but the match ended all square with a replay set for Tuesday evening at The Brewery Field.


AFC Fylde: Neal, Conlan, Whitmore (C), Tollitt (Walker 72), Haughton, Joyce, Sampson (Hulme 72), Holland-Wilkinson, Perkins, Pike, Stott.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Lufudu (Hall 43), Curtis (c), Tait, Magnay, McLean, Chandler, Abbott, Moke (Thompson 78), Ramshaw, Taylor.

Subs not used: Flatters, Kennedy, Hindson, Anderson.

Share this post