Report: Spennymoor Town 1-0 AFC Fylde

spennymoor town 1

Taylor 26 (pen)

Tuesday 21 September 2021


The Brewery Field

Emirates FA Cup Second Round Qualifying Replay

afc fylde 0

  • Chandler brought down in area by Pike to give Moors spot kick
  • Taylor sends Neal wrong way for deserved lead
  • Ramshaw glances against bar for dominant Spennymoor
  • Eve makes remarkable close range save to deny Tollitt

Glen Taylor’s first half penalty, coupled with an outstanding defensive display, saw Moors progress past National League North leaders AFC Fylde to set up a meeting with Southport in the next round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Taylor converted his spot kick after Dan Pike had brought down Jamie Chandler in the area.

Moors had multiple first half chances but were forced to remain resolute in defence as they dug deep to earn a well deserved spot in the Third Qualifying Stage.

Tommy Miller

Spennymoor began on the front foot and showed a high pressing game from the first whistle, with Rob Ramshaw firing over from a tight angle after two minutes.

Fylde, who dominated possession in the first tie, looked shell-shocked as Spennymoor swarmed any attempts to play out from the back, with Glen Taylor nodding over after good work from Scott McLean.

Fylde fashioned their first chance of the contest just before the ten minute mark when Jordan Hulme, who was only a late substitute three days previous, hit a tame effort straight at Dale Eve.

The game continued at a hectic early pace, with Brad Abbott, fresh from his third goal of the season at Mill Farm, slicing a shot just wide of the post following a corner.

Moors played some delightful football in the early stages but were left frustrated when Ryan Hall’s goal bound effort was blocked by a yellow and black shirt just shy of the twenty minute mark.

With the pressure building on the Fylde defence, it was only a matter of time until Moors found the opener, and, after the rampaging Jamie Chandler was brought down in the area by Dan Pike, the referee presented an opportunity for Taylor to score from the spot.

Moors’ number nine dually obliged, sending Chris Neal the wrong way and sending Spennymoor into a des lead following a dominant opening twenty five minutes.

The intensity and pressure from a unrelenting Spennymoor side continued as James Curtis powered a header marginally over the bar from a corner.

Ramshaw came even closer just minutes later, glancing a McLean free-kick on to the crossbar.

A visibly frustrated Jim Bentley marched off at half time, with his message at the interval clearly getting through to his players as Moors had defensive work to do early in the second period.

Only the strong hand and superb reactions of Eve kept Moors ahead, with Ben Tollitt’s close range effort being turned behind the keeper, before he scooped up a driven Stephen Dobbie effort.

The second half was a much more even and tense affair, with chances arriving at a lower rate for Spennymoor, however, Taylor did plant a looping header on to the roof of the net, before Joe Tait powered wide from another threatening corner.

Fylde took off the duo of Nick Haughton and Hulme in pursuit of an equaliser, but a resolute and determined Spennymoor defence held firm and restricted Bentley’s side to few chances.

Despite a barrage of late pressure and crosses into the areas, Moors stood firm to secure a deserved place in the Third Round Qualifying stage against Southport at The Brewery Field.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Hall, Curtis (c), Tait, Magnay, McLean, Chandler, Abbott, Moke, Ramshaw, Taylor.

Subs not used: Flatters, Kennedy, Hindson, Anderson, Mulhern, Thompson, Peterson

AFC Fylde: Neal, Conlan, Nolan, Whitmore (c), Tollit, Hulme (Sampson), Haughton (Osbourne), Joyce (Dobbie), Pike, Walker, Stott.

Subs not used: Jones, Obi, Perkins.

Share this post