Report: Spennymoor Town 0-0 Southport

spennymoor town 0

Saturday 2 October 2021


The Brewery Field

Emirates FA Cup Third Round Qualifying


  • Eve denies Carver with stunning second half save
  • Moors restricted to few chances in tight tie
  • Mulhern heads at Mason from close range
  • Replay to be played on Tuesday evening at The Pure Stadium

Spennymoor and Southport cancelled each other out and require a replay to decide who progresses in the Emirates FA Cup following a goalless draw at The Brewery Field.

On an afternoon of few chances and incidents, Southport striker Marcus Carver had the contest’s big opening, but an excellent Dale Eve save denied him.

Moors created a host of half chances, with Frank Mulhern’s late header the clearest sight of goal, however, The Sangrounders dug in to earn a second successive replay for both teams.

Tommy Miller was forced to make a late alteration to his previously submitted starting XI when Jason Kennedy replaced the ill Carl Magnay in central defence.

Kennedy, alongside Joe Tait and James Curtis, had little to do in an uneventful first period which passed by without incident.

Liam Watson’s side, who currently prop up the National League North table, had several close calls when the ball pinballed in Moors’ penalty area, but clearances were made on both occasions.

The second half, unlike the dreary County Durham weather, was a much brighter contest as the game threatened to open up.

It was Carver, who was once again a nuisance up front, who had a golden chance to break the deadlock just a few minutes after the restart.

Ryan Hall, starting his third game in a row following an injury to John Lufudu, played a short back pass towards Eve, forcing Moors’ number one to dive to his left to prevent a certain goal from Carver.

Glen Taylor, who cut a frustrated figure despite his best attempts to find a way past Cameron Mason, saw his effort saved by Southport’s shot stopper just past the hour as Moors began to pin Port back.

Miller opted to make two changes in the second half, his first for over 200 minutes of football, with Mulhern spurning two headed openings from close range.

The game ended with an added feeling of needle as Curtis and Carver clashed, resulting in a yellow card for the pair.

Despite pressure and sightings of goal for both sides, the referee’s final whistle signalled the confirmation of an inevitable replay.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Hall (Thompson 71), Curtis (c), Tait, Kennedy, McLean, Chandler, Abbott (Mulhern 59), Moke, Ramshaw, Taylor.

Subs not used: Flatters, Hindson, Anderson, Mulhern, Petterson.

Southport: Mason, Oliver, Doyle, Anson, Tharme, Archer (Watson), Carver, Doyle, Hmami, Vassallo, Bainbridge.

Subs not used: Woods, Munro, Ricketts, McMillan.

Share this post