Report: Southport 3-2 Spennymoor Town


Tharme 14  Archer 58  Carver 72

Tuesday 5 October 2021


The Brewery Field

Emirates FA Cup Third Round Qualifying Replay


Taylor 36  Abbott 38

Thompson sent off 45

  • Eve saves Carver spot kick, but Tharme steers in from following corner
  • James Curtis forced off with injury
  • Quick fire Taylor and Abbott goals put Moors ahead
  • Thompson shown straight red card at end of first half
  • Archer and Carver convert from close range in second half

A contentious Stephen Thompson red card turned the game in Southport’s favour as Moors exited the Emirates FA Cup on a frustrating night on Merseyside.

Thompson was shown a straight red card just before the interval with Moors leading 2-1, with goals from Glen Taylor and Brad Abbott cancelling out Doug Tharme’s early finish.

Two close range finishes from Jordan Archer and Marcus Carver completed a second half comeback for a dogged Moors side who continued to press towards the end of an event filled cup tie.

To add salt in the wounds, both James Curtis and Mark Anderson were taken off with injuries, with Curtis’ looking potentially serious according to Tommy Miller.

Miller made three changes to the side that began the tie on Saturday, with Carl Magnay, Stephen Thompson and Mark Anderson replacing Jason Kennedy, Ryan Hall and Adriano Moke.

Southport, who restricted Moors to few chances on Saturday, named the same starting eleven which began at The Brewery Field.

Moors began the brighter of the two sides in challenging conditions at The Pure Stadium, with the newly introduced Anderson teeing up Glen Taylor for an early shot which zipped over Cameron Mason’s crossbar.

Southport, who showcased their threat from set pieces at the weekend, had a chance to take the lead just before the quarter of an hour mark when the referee spotted a foul in the area from a throw in.

Marcus Carver stepped up confidently and struck a fierce spot kick towards Eve’s bottom right hand corner, but Moors’ keeper made a stunning save to keep the scores level.

However, the euphoria of that penalty save was quickly forgotten from the resulting corner when Doug Tharme steered a pinpoint shot into the top corner to give Port the lead.

Moors’ problems deepened ten minutes later when the ever-present James Curtis went down clutching his knee after trying to make a challenge, and, despite attempting to play on, he was replaced by Jason Kennedy.

Chances were still being made as Mason was forced to keep his concentration with a host of long range efforts from Brad Abbott and Scott McLean, before he collected an arrowing Taylor header.

The graudal build up of pressure eventually paid off for Moors ten minutes before the break when Taylor scored a customary goal at The Pure Stadium against Southport.

A wicked and inviting McLean cross into the area found the head of Taylor who looped a delicate header over the helpless Mason to drag Moors back into the tie. 

That goal provided Moors a springboard, and they turned the game around just two minutes later when the prolific Abbott kept his eye on a dropping ball and hammered a shot past Mason.

In the ascendancy and with momentum on their side, Moors searched for a third goal which would take tie away from The Sandgrounders, however, a contentious decision from the referee turned the tide of the contest.

After Thompson drove forward from right back and attempted a block, the referee felt his foot was too high and in a dangerous position, and, after a small period of hesitation, went to his back pocket and Moors were reduced to ten men.

An incensed Miller went down the tunnel at the break with a tough task on his hands, and within the first five minutes of the second period, the tone of the remaining 45 minutes was set.

Moors lost Anderson to injury on a costly night in terms of players, and they were soon pegged back when Jordan Archer stabbed home following Eve’s incredible reaction save.

The Southport striker was lucky to remain on the pitch four minutes later when he unecisarlly collided with Eve after a routine pick up from Moors’ goalkeeper, with the referee branding a yellow card.

From the resulting free-kick, Chris Doyle was high and late on Abbott, once again drawing animated reactions from Spennymoor’s players, however, the referee once again kept the sides at 11 vs 10.

Marcus Carver had the final say on a night which never seemed to go in Moors’ favour, with the striker quickest to react after a header struck the bar and dropped on the line.

Spennymoor admirably pushed for an equaliser late in the game as Southport grew increasingly nervy, but Liam Watson’s side will now face Altrincham in the next round.

Southport: Mason, Oliver (Woods 60), Doyle, Anson, Tharme, Archer (Watson 67), Carver, Doyle, Hmami (Munro 90), Vassallo, Bainbridge.

Subs not used: Ricketts, McMillan.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Thompson, Curtis (c) (Kennedy 31), Tait, Magnay, McLean, Chandler, Abbott , Anderson (Moke 51) Ramshaw, Taylor.

Subs not used: Flatters, Hindson, Mulhern, Petterson.

Share this post