Report: Spennymoor Town 1-0 AFC Telford United

  • Abbott strikes bar just after restart
  • Taylor opens scoring five minutes into second half
  • Moors up to third with fourth successive league victory

Attendance: 1554 (38 away fans)

Spennymoor 1

Taylor 51

AFC Telford United 0

Glen Taylor and Rob Ramshaw linked up once again as Moors deservedly beat AFC Telford United in front of a bumper crowd at The Brewery Field.

Taylor’s decisive finish six minutes after the restart was just reward after a dominant display which saw The Bucks’ attacking threat strangled by a solid Moors defence.

Tommy Miller made three changes from the side who began the game at Southport, with James Curtis and Mark Anderson both dropping out due to injury.

Jason Kennedy and Adriano Moke came in, with Ryan Hall replacing Stephen Thompson at full back.

An AFC Telford side who were beginning life after Gavin Cowan following his departure during the week, were thankful to Russell Griffiths early on when Taylor almost turned in Joe Tait’s header from a corner.

Tait was involved at the other end a minute later when he read the danger and intercepted a low cross which was zipping towards the feet of Jason Oswell.

Moors’ long ball was causing issues for The Bucks’ backline in the opening exchanges, with Taylor and Ramshaw continuing their flourishing partnership this campaign.

But, it was Telford who forged the best chance of the afternoon just before the half mark when a jinking run from Kai Williams ended with a low ball to Oswell, with Tait’s superb last ditch block denying a nailed on opener.

Moors responded immediately and were literal inches away from taking the initiative in a tight National League North encounter.

Scott McLean’s long punt upfield turned into a handy pass which found Taylor on the left flank, and when he played a low ball across goal to Ramshaw, Moors’ number 10 was excruciatingly close to turning in.

Ramshaw was the main threat for Moors as the half grew older, with his stinging shot taking a deflection which steered it wide of the post before the break.

Elliott Durrell had a rare chance for Telford as The Bucks almost caught Moors on the counter attack, but his curling shot was well saved by Dale Eve.

Moors sprang out of the traps in the second half and struck the woodwork when Brad Abbott’s fierce shot blasted back off the bar, but it wasn’t long until the game finally had its opening goal.

It came through the deadly duo up top, with Ramshaw teeing up Taylor who’s shot was too powerful for Griffiths to keep out, converting his eighth league goal in the process.

Eight almost became nine just moments later for Moors’ stand in captain when Taylor’s instinctive shot crawled towards goal before tapping the post and rolling across the goal line and into the hands of Griffiths.

Spennymoor threatened to take the game away from The Bucks as chances began to rack up, with Taylor heading wide from Ryan Hall’s pinpoint cross into the area.

To their credit, Telford weathered the increasingly intense Moors storm, and were only denied an equaliser when McLean cleared an effort off the line from a corner.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Hall, Kennedy, Tait, Magnay, McLean, Chandler, Abbott, Moke, Ramshaw, Taylor (C).

Subs not used: Flatters, Thompson, Hindson, Patterson, Mulhern.

AFC Telford United: Griffiths, White, Streete, Roberts, Durrell, Walker (c), Berkoe, Abbey (Antwi 45), Birch (Byrne 74), Williams (McHale 74), Oswell.

Subs not used: Hamilton, Bood.

Share this post