Report: Spennymoor Town 2-1 Farringdon Detached

  • Wilkinson heads in opener after seven minutes
  • Willian Alves-Olympio converts Thompson cross early in second half
  • Farringdon substitute Stan Ogunsyi pulls goal back twelve minutes from time

Attendance: 270

Spennymoor 2

Wilkinson 7

Alves-Olympio 51

Farringdon Detached 1

Ogunsyi 78

Headers from Reece Wilkinson and Willian Alves-Olympia secured Moors’ passage to the next round of the Durham Challenge Cup and knocked Farringdon Detached out of the competition.
The duo of Andy Lowe and Richie Hill took charge as Moors entered the competition at the Second Round Preliminary stage.

A side made up of first team players Harry Flatters, Mark Anderson, Stephen Thompson and Frank Mulhern were blended with a youthful looking Moors outfit.

It was Moors, who were facing Farringdon Detached for the first time, who began brightly when Mulhern forced Callum Haughton into a smart stop.

However, there was nothing he could do from the resulting corner as an unmarked Wilkinson guided a well placed header into the far corner after seven minutes.

Moors continued to press forward and almost doubled their advantage when Mulhern’s fierce strike was tipped wide of the post by Haughton.

A positive opening twenty minutes was tinged with a disappointing sight as captain Anderson was forced to head straight down the tunnel with an injury.

His replacement, Daniel Smith, played a key role as Thompson came close to getting his first goal of the season, but his shot zipped the wrong side of the post.

Moors’ dominance and superiority showed throughout and the lead was doubled shortly after the break through a combination of young and experienced.

Thompson, now donning the captain’s armband following Anderson’s departure, dinked a cross to the back post where Alves-Olympio headed in.

The impressive Haughton in goal for Farringdon pulled off a fine save shortly after as the game fell flat with Moors cruising through to the next round of the competition.

However, Farringdon refused to go down without a fight and suddenly sprang in to life, pulling a goal back thanks to a superbly taken effort from Stan Ogunsyi.

Moors were forced to absorb late Farringdon pressure as the Wearside Division One side sensed an unlikely penalty shoot-out, but they were grateful to Haughton when he denied Thompson’s close range effort.

The plucky visitors were inches away from a last gasp leveller when James Burlinson’s lobbed effort struck the bar before bouncing away.

Spennymoor Town: Flatters, Wilkinson (Longstaff 45), Petterson, Shevels, Anderson (C) (Smith 23), Boucher, Short, Willian (Mitchell 74), Thompson, Mulhern, Hindson.

Subs not used: Lister, Burdess.

Farringdon Detached: Houghton, Bell, Brown, Frame (Nightingale 70), Burlinson, Whitehead, Nichol, Robinson, Gales (C), Greener, Alexander (Ogunsyi 

Subs not used: 

Share this post