Report: Spennymoor Town 0-2 Alfreton Town

  • Moment of magic from Ceesay in first half
  • Hobson taps in second twenty minutes before full time
  • Moors drop to seventh in division

Attendance: 1344

Spennymoor Town 0

Alfreton Town 2

Ceesay 42

Hobson 69

Spennymoor suffered a third straight defeat as Alfreton Town continued their rich vein of form at The Brewery Field.

Goals from Yusifu Ceesay and Bailey Hobson gave The Reds a deserved win on a frustrating afternoon.

Harry Flatters was handed his first league start for the club after Dale Eve’s was ruled out with a rib injury, with Carl Magnay returning to replace Jason Kennedy at central defence.

John Lufudu was unavailable so Ryan Hall slotted in a right wing back, with Stephen Thompson returning from suspension for a place on the bench.

Moors, who headed into the game on the back of one point from the last three games, began with intent but any chance of gathering momentum was stopped via a host of stoppages and soft fouls.

The game followed a similar pattern throughout a scrappy first half, with Jorge Sikora flicking an audacious effort which George Willis got down to save.

The physical presence of Matt Rhead and trickery of winger Yusifu Ceesay caused Moors problems sporadically with the visitors taking the lead through the latter just before the break.

Rhead’s dominant hold up play saw Bobby Johnson then recycle the ball out to Ceesay, and after cutting inside, he curled an exquisite effort into the top corner past Flatters.

Moors created a good opening nine minutes after the restart when Glen Taylor met Scott McLean’s cross, but his effort went wide of the post.

Miller opted to introduce Thompson, who hadn’t featured since a red card at Southport last month, in place of Adriano Moke as the clock ticked towards the hour mark.

But it was the visitors who continued to look more likely, with Bailey Hobson’ fall in the box under a challenge from Flatters going unpunished.

Hobson was soon to have his say on the game as Alfreton doubled their advantage.

Connor Branson’s slick through ball found Rhead, who, after keeping his composure, squared to Hobson who tapped into an empty net.

Moors almost pulled a goal back immediately through Thompson’s low drive before Hall arrowed a volley wide of the post.

Frank Mulhern was brought on for central defender George Sikora in a final attempt to salvage something from the contest, but Alfreton saw the game out.

Spennymoor Town: Flatters , Hall , Tait , Magnay , Sikora (Mulhern 73), McLean , Chandler , Abbott , Moke  (Thompson 59 ), Ramshaw , Taylor © 

Subs not used: Hindson, Anderson, Mulhern, Kennedy.

Alfreton Town: Willis , Clackstone , Preston , Branson, Smith ©, Sutton, Southwell, Johnson, Rhead , Hobson, Ceesay (Wilde 89).

Subs not used: Reeves, Smith-Eccles, Lund, Wiley.

Share this post