MATCH REPORT: Spennymoor 4-2 Chester

Spennymoor Town were deserved winners despite surrendering a two goal lead in the second half as they overcame Chester 4-2 in an absorbing encounter at The Brewery Field.

Caretaker Manager Jason Ainsley enjoyed a perfect return to the dugout as he saw his side overcome the disappointment of conceding an 83rd minute equaliser.

Moors leapt two ahead either side of half-time courtesy of an own goal and Luke Spokes’ neat finish.

But their weak underbelly was evident when a deflected Darren Stephenson strike in the 76th minute and Jude Oyibo hauled the visitors level out of nowhere seven minutes later.

With hope seemingly lost, Moors’ looked to their goalscoring hero.  Glen Taylor’s ingenious backwards header three minutes from time was a goal worthy of winning any game and he wrapped up three points with another glancing effort in the 90th minute.

Spennymoor could arguably have had the game wrapped up by half time.

Stephen Thompson spurned a glorious opportunity as John Lufudu’s good work teed him up 10 yards out.  But he couldn’t keep the finish down.

Moors had a penalty shout waved away and a flurry of opportunities before the breakthrough was finally made in the 45th minute.

Rob Ramshaw’s mis-timed header from the penalty spot looped onto the post and in of the hapless Louis Gray in goal.

Not long after the restart Moors doubled their lead.  John Lufudu’s acceleration caused problems on the right of Chester’s box and his pull-back dropped to Spokes 15 yards out.  He made no mistake with a clinical finish.

With Moors looking comfortable, Chester fought their way back into the game.  Substitute Darren Stephenson made a hard for himself on the left of the box and his shot cannoned off Kenton Richardson, wrong-footing Eve and providing the visitors with a lifeline.

You could sense an equaliser coming.

On 83 minutes, it did.  Lufudu slipped as he tried to clear and Oyibu pounced to finish neatly from inside the box.

It was left to Taylor to provide a moment of inspiration, stooping to flick a header backwards over himself from inside the area and leaving the stranded Gray with no chance.

The home support exploded and were hoping Moors could see it out.

But they went one better when McLean’s whipped cross from the left was glanced home at the near post by the rejuvenated Taylor, to wrap up the win.

Share this post