Ethan Pye has joined the club on a three month youth loan deal from Stockport County as Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley begin to shape their squad ahead of the second half of the campaign.
The 18-year-old defender began his career at Rochdale where he was part of their development squad that won the Youth Alliance League Cup last season, with Pye scoring in the final.
He joined County in 2021, with the club beating off competition from several Category 1 and 2 U23 sides to secure his services on a permanent basis.
“He brings balance to the squad and can play in a few positions across the back line.”Anthony Johnson
Joint-Manager Johnson said: “Ethan is a player we’ve been aware of for a while since we played Stockport County in a County Cup game a couple of months ago.
“He really impressed us in that game and has since gone on to start in a handful of games in the National League, a big achievement considering there won’t be many 18-year-old defenders playing at that level.
“As a left footed player he brings balance to the squad and can play in a few positions across the back line. We are delighted to be able to get him at the club.”
Pye fact file
- Pye had been a part of Rochdale’s development squad which lifted the Youth Alliance League Cup last season, with the centre-back netting in the final which was a 3-0 win over Gillingham.
- Stockport County first started scouting the defender in their youth side’s 2-1 loss to Hyde United.
- Since joining Stockport County, the youngster has appeared twice in the league so far and even coming off the bench in an away tie to Bolton Wanderers in the FA Cup First Round Proper.
- The 18-year old made his professional debut in a victory over Weymouth in the National League this season.
- Stockport County haven’t been defeated when Pye has played a game, with victories as a starter against Weymouth and Dover Athletic, as well as a 2-2 draw away to Bolton when he came on for the last 20 minutes.
- In pre-season football, the former Rochdale man claimed in an interview with Stockport County that the hardest opponent he played against was Aaron Lennon in a pre-season friendly against Burnley.