Report: Spennymoor Town 3-1 Plymouth Parkway

  • Substitute Bath gives Plymouth Parkway lead in first half
  • Spokes levels seven minutes from time to spar comeback
  • Ramshaw taps in before superb Taylor goal seals progression

Attendance: 670 (42 away fans)

Spennymoor Town 3

Spokes 85

Ramshaw 88

Taylor 90

Plymouth Parkway 1

Bath 29

A trio of late goals made sure Spennymoor avoided a shock cup exit in an absorbing and, at times, disbelieving FA Trophy tie against a spirited Plymouth Parkway side.

Parkway led for the majority of the contest through Tom Bath’s composed finish, with Moors squandering a series of golden chances before Luke Spokes buried a low effort through a sea of bodies from a corner.

Rob Ramshaw turned in from close range minutes later before Glen Taylor put the icing on the cake with a terrific individual finish.

A Spennymoor side featuring four changes from the team who beat Guiseley 2-1 a week previous began on the front foot.

Ryan Hall, who netted the winner against The Lions that afternoon, showcased his blistering pace to gallop towards goal and test the reflexes of Kyle Moore.

Glen Taylor came close moments later when he connected with a floated cross into the area, but his header marginally zipped past the post.

A Plymouth side backed by an impressive following of supporters given the mammoth 800 mile-round trip struggled to get to grips with Moors’ fast paced start, however, they did force a series of corners.

The visitors were thankful to Moore just before the twenty minute mark when he got down to deny Taylor after the striker found space and headed towards goal.

Parkway began to grow into the contest and it was evident they were evolving in confidence with a collection of promising counter attacks, and they took a shock lead just before the half hour mark.

A turnover of possession allowed a pass to find Jack Crago, and when he delivered a low pass into Callum Hall, he found substitute Tom Bath who slid an accurate shot into the bottom corner.

The goal silenced the majority of The Brewery Field albeit a pocket of Parkway supporters and the away dugout, with Bath having another chance ten minutes, with a poor first touch letting him down.

Moors failed to claw back the deficit before the break, however, they returned from the interval a rejuvenated outfit and should have levelled proceedings through Rob Ramshaw.

James Curtis played a perfectly weighted through ball to Moors’ number 10, but despite rounding goalkeeper Moore, Ramshaw’s effort with the goal gaping was tame and cleared by Callum Rose.

Parkway responded and forged a golden chance to double their lead, with Crago sliding a neat pass to Mikey Williams.

The midfielder managed to dig out a left-footed shot under pressure, with Moors debutant Jordan Amissah making a superb one handed save down to his right.

Moors began to assert a more consistent level of pressure and somehow failed to convert a Luke Spokes free-kick with twenty minutes remaining, with Kenton Richardson failing to make strong enough contact.

Adriano Moke was the next Moors player to squander a guilt-edge chance, with the midfielder’s blazed effort over the bar proving to be his final contribution to the game.

The most glaring chance was still to come, with Frank Mulhern’s dazzling run to the bye-line ending with a dinked cross towards the head of the unmarked Richardson.

The defender was a mere four yards our but could only direct his header straight at the grateful Moore, before his attempted front post shot was blocked before Taylor blasted over from a tight angle.

In a ending bordering on disbelief, Plymouth Parkway were camped in their own area, having to produce a catalogue of brave blocks, before their resistance was finally broken seven minutes from time.

A corner was headed away only as far as Spokes, with the midfielder on loan from Grimsby keeping his composure to find the bottom corner.

The Brewery Field was suddenly alive with noise from the home end and Moors capitalised on a tiring Parkway side to turn the game on its head almost from the restart.

It was another corner which did the damage, with the ball deflecting towards Ramshaw who turned in from on the goal line, sparking wild celebrations heavily tinged with a huge sense of relief.

A Plymouth Parkway side who were zapped of energy suddenly looked vulnerable with every Spennymoor attach, and the polish was applied to the score line when Taylor cleverly span his marker before curling a shot into the far corner.

Spennymoor Town: Amissah, Pye, Chandler, Tait, Curtis ©, Moke (Anderson 72), Taylor, Ramshaw, Abbott (Spokes 57), Hall (Mulhern 59), Richardson.

Subs not used: Mason, Flatters, McLean, Short.

Plymouth Parkway: Moore, Craske, Lane, Palfrey, Rose, Landricombe ©, Williams (Bentley), Andrew, Hall (Shirley 89), Carter (Bath 18), Crago.

Subs not used: Davis, Allen, Baggott.

Share this post