Report: Gateshead 2-1 Spennymoor Town

  •  Taylor put Moors ahead after 15 minutes from the penalty spot.
  •  Langstaff levelled the scores just before the half-hour mark.
  •  Campbell found the winner, with a spectacular effort in the second half.

Gateshead 2

Langstaff 29

Campbell 54

Spennymoor Town 1

Taylor 15

Moors fell to defeat against Gateshead at Gateshead International Stadiun, as the table-toppers turned the game on its head, following Glen Taylor’s first half goal from the penalty spot. 

One change was made to the side who began the defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge a week ago, with the cup-tied Jordan Thewlis coming back into the starting lineup in place of Luke Spokes.

Spokes dropped to the bench, where Jude Oyibo and Claudio Ofosu also returned following their cup-ties.

Despite Gateshead dominating the possession early on, it was Moors who found the net with the first opportunity of the game.

Following a dinked ball over the top, Jordan Thewlis beat the ‘keeper to the loose ball, who was then tripped by Filip Marschall.

Taylor stepped up to give Spennymoor the lead in the 15th minute, sending the goalkeeper the wrong from his spot-kick.

A double chance came and went for Spennymoor shortly after, with Curtis slicing the ball over the top of the bar from Joe Tait’s dinked cross. Ryan Hall then latched onto a loose ball, finding Taylor just outside the box, but his low-driven strike was well-stopped.

Moors were made to rue their chances just before the half-hour mark, as Macauley Langstaff was slipped through on goal and made no mistake with the finish, following a sequence of slick passes.

Spennymoor started the second half with a chance seven minutes in, when Tait got on the end of Ethan Pye’s floated corner, but with the defender clipping the bar with a looping header.

Two minutes later, Tynesiders found the lead through Adam Campbell, with the ex-Newcastle United player fizzing a shot into the top corner of the net after running alongside the edge of the box.

Within four minutes, Moors came incredibly close to an equaliser as Taylor skimmed the bar following a bright passage of play.

Substitute Oyibo then scuffed a one-on-one shortly after, before dinking the rebound over the ‘keeper and wide of the post.

Langstaff then missed a chance to double his tally with 15 minutes remaining, as a corner fell to the midfielder inside the area, but he could only drag his shot wide of the post.

Spennymoor had few chances late on, but Taylor had the best of the last quarter of the game, when his diving header at the back post flicked agonisingly wide of the post.


Gateshead: Marschall, Tinkler, Nicholson, Storey, Jacob, Greenfield (Charters 82), Bailey, Olley, Campbell, Langstaff, Scott (Pani 90).

Subs not used: Hunter, Magnay

Spennymoor Town: Amissah, Pye, Chandler (Mulhern 89), Tait, Curtis (c), Moke, Taylor, Ramshaw, Hall (Ofosu 67), Richardson, Thewlis (Oyibo 67).

Subs not used: Anderson, Spokes

Share this post