Report: Spennymoor Town 1-4 Ryhope CW

  • Ellis with neat finish for Ryhope before Taylor adds seconds on the brink of half-time
  • Anderson with pinpoint strike ten minutes after interval
  • Taylor adds second before Southern adds fourth one minute later

Attendance: 296

Spennymoor Town 1

Anderson 55

Ryhope CW 4

Ellis 38

Taylor 45, 82

Southern 84

Moors suffered a night to forget in torrential conditions as Ryhope hit four to end this season’s Durham Challenge Cup run.

Andy Lowe named a combination of first team players and youngsters, with only Claudio Ofosu, Dale Eve and Chris Mason featuring from Tuesday’s nights squad at Chester.

Ryhope were the more dominant side in the opening 25 minutes, going close through Kyle Davis, however, Moors withstood a spell of pressure.

Moors were restricted to little in terms of chances, but came close through respective headers from Mason and Stephen Thompson.

Despite Spennymoor creeping back into the contest it was Ryhope who took the lead shortly before the break, with James Ellis dancing through a cluster of bodies before finding the bottom corner with a low driven shot.

The match was seconds away from reaching the half way stage, but there was still time for the Northern League visitors to double their advantage.

A simple ball over the top allowed Oscar Taylor to peel away from his marker, and despite the pressure of Eve, he coolly slipped the ball under the keeper. 

Ryhope created chances at will in the early stages of a second half severely hampered by torrential conditions, but Kyle Southern spurned two guilt-edge opportunities to put the game out of sight.

Southern’s lack of prowess in front of goal came back to haunt Ryhope immediately when Mark Anderson struck a pinpoint shot from range which found the bottom corner.

That goal sparked a previously below-par Spennymoor into life, with Ofosu showcasing his footwork before arrowing a shot against the bar.

The monsoon-like rain and wind continued throughout a hard fought second half, with both teams struggling to maintain possession on an increasingly slippy surface.

Hopes of a turnaround were dashed eight minutes from time when Kenny Shevells allowed Taylor to run through and slide his second of the night, before Southern arrowed an effort into the corner two minutes later. 

Ryhope go through to the semi-final where they will face West Auckland at home.

Spennymoor Town: Eve, Thompson, Anderson, Ridley, Mason, Ofosu, Petterson, Short (Shevells), Hindson, Longstaff (Olympio), Smith.

Subs not used: Smith, Evans, Peat

Ryhope CW: Winter, Wade, Price, Southern, Lay, Weirs, Davis, Wallace, Taylor, Bird, Ellis.

Subs not used: Garside, Harkess, Riding, Pearson.

Share this post