Report: Farsley Celtic 1-2 Spennymoor

  • Taylor gives Moors lead inside three minutes
  • Thewlis doubles Moors lead with finish at back post
  • Amissah saves Hayhurt’s spot kick after Parkin fouled by Tait
  • Spencer sent off before Curtis sees red for Moors
  • Gratton pulls one back for Farsley as Moors survive late pressure

Farsley Celtic 1

Gratton 74

Spencer sent off 60

Spennymoor Town 2

Taylor 3

Thewlis 33

Curtis sent off 74

Spennymoor claimed a valuable three points in West Yorkshire as both sides ended an incident filled contest with ten men.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley made four alterations to the side as they welcomed back players who missed the goalless draw with Gloucester.

Ethan Pye recovered from injury and replaced Chris Mason, with Ryan Hall coming in for the injured Kenton Richardson.

Mark Anderson, who made a cameo from the bench in the second half against Gloucester, replaced Jamie Chandler who missed out due to injury.

The most eye-catching switch came in the forward line, with new signing Jordan Preston, who joined from Boston on Thursday, coming in for Adriano Moke.

Farsley, who began the afternoon at the bottom of the league, forced Jordan Amissah into an early save following a deep corner, but Moors soon quelled the early threat and took a fortuitous lead.

The opener, netted after just three minutes, came from a quick Moors counter attack, ending with Glen Taylor’s shot striking the bar before deflecting into the net.

Spennymoor’s lead should have been doubled when a mistake from Adam Clayton allowed a combination of Preston and Taylor find Jordan Thewlis, but his effort was tame and saved by Ternerry.

Farsley’s leaky backline, which has conceded the most goals in the division this campaign so far, was breached again seconds later when Rob Ramshaw broke through on goal.

Ramshaw, fresh from signing a new deal this week, rounded the goalkeeper before sliding a shot wide, before he pulled an effort marginally wide of the mark moments later.

The home side stemmed a persistent and constant tide of Spennymoor pressure as the half wore on, with the conditions playing a role in a scrappy period of the contest.

However, Moors punished Farsley on the counter attack once again to take a deserved two goal advantage, breaking forward following a failed set-piece.

Luke Spokes found Anderson, and when his effort hung up in the air, Thewlis was alive enough to fly in at the back post and steer in his second goal for the club.

The referee offered Farsley a route back into the game when he adjudged Joe Tait fouled Luke Parkin in the penalty area ten minutes before the interval, but Amissah superbly stopped Will Hayhurst’s spot-kick.

The second half began with a strong wind affecting the quality, with the ball spending a large chunk of time in the air.

A quiet second period saw its first flash point shortly before the hour mark when an altercation between James Curtis and Jimmy Spencer saw the Farsley striker shown a straight red card.

Dave Syers had Farsley’s best opening since they squandered their penalty shortly after being reduced to ten men, but he blazed over from eight yards out.

The contest was levelled up in terms of players on the pitch soon after when Curtis, who picked up a first yellow card in his clash with Spencer, tripped an advancing Hayhurst on the counter.

From the resulting free-kick, a ball was knocked down to substitute Jacob Gratton who drilled a low shot into the bottom corner.

A contest which seemed firmly in Moors’ grasp for the majority was suddenly set-up for a grandstand finish.

Taylor almost added to his season’s tally as Farsley started to commit bodies forward, but his acrobatic scissor kick over the keeper dropped wide of the post.

However, the National League North’s basement club still came forward and Gratton fired a shot which had Amissah worried, but the ball flashed wide.

Moors’ penalty area survived a barrage of late pressure as the game ticked beyond the 90 minute mark, securing three vital points ahead of a tough trip to Chorley on Tuesday.

Chester: Trenerry, Digie, Butroid, Clayton, Greaves, Vaughan, Turner, Syers (C), Hayhurst, Spencer, Parkin.

Subs not used: 

Spennymoor Town: Amissah, Pye, Tait, Curtis (C), Hall, Anderson, Spokes (Mason), Ramshaw, Preston (Ofosu), Taylor, Thewlis (Oyibo).

Subs not used: Eve, Hindson.

Share this post