Report: Curzon Ashton 0-3 Spennymoor Town

  • Taylor powers in early opener for Moors
  • Striker nets his 21st goal of the campaign with superb second
  • Brierley finds bottom corner in injury time to seal win

Curzon Ashton 0

Spennymoor Town 3

Taylor 8, 68

Brierley 90

Spennymoor moved to within three points of the play-off places following a slick performance at Curzon Ashton.

Glen Taylor netted long range strike in each half, before Ethan Brierley applied the gloss to the score line in injury time.

Bernard Morley and a returning Anthony Johnson named the same side who began the 1-1 draw with Brackley a week ago, with Chris Mason replacing the injured Tyrese Dyce on the bench.

Moors began brightly against a Curzon Ashton side who had lost their previous three games, and it took less than 10 minutes for the opener to arrive.

After Spennymoor had won the ball back, Glen Taylor drilled a shot past Christopher Renshaw from distance to take his league tally to 20 this season.

Jude Oyibo, fresh from netting his first for the club against Brackley, picked up from where he left off and almost created a second.

His trickery from a short corner allowed him to drive to the bye-line before finding Jordan Thewlis, but his clever flick flashed wide.

The home side grew into the contest as the half progressed but were unable to forge out a noteworthy chance, with Thewlis almost converting at the back post for Moors following a slick counter attack.

A subdued opening to the second half was brought to life when Moors had the ball in the net via a neat Thewlis finish, however, he was denied by the linesman’s flag.

Thewlis should have netted moments later when he connected with a wicked right wing cross, but he could only glance it marginally wide.

Johnson and Morley introduced the duo of Ethan Brierley and Luke Spokes midway through the second half, with the former being involved in Moors’ crucial second goal.

Beginning from a Curzon corner, Spokes spread a pass with the outside of his foot to Oyibo, and when Pye found Taylor on the far side, Moors’ number nine took control of the situation.

After a few touches to set himself, he drilled a powerful left-footed drive past the despairing dive of Renshaw, doubling his and Spennymoor’s deserved advantage.

With Curzon now desperately pushing forward and leaving gaps to exploit, Moors began to create chances at will, with the excellent Oyibo coming agonisingly close.

Tom Peers had Curzon’s best chance of the second half when he met a cross from the right, but he could only head over the bar.

Thewlis, who’s attitude and endeavour was deserving of a goal all afternoon, came within inches of latching onto Pye’s ball over the top, before once again being denied by the linesman’s flag.

The icing on the cake was applied in stoppage time when loanee Brierley collected the ball on the edge of the area before finding the bottom corner via the post.

Curzon Ashton: Renshaw, Thomas, Curran, Peers, Wilson, Lussey, Richards, Mahon (C), Barton, Mariette.

Spennymoor Town: Flatters, Richardson, Tait, Curtis (C), Pye, Chandler (Spokes), Ramshaw, Oyibo (Ofosu), Preston (Brierley), Thewlis, Taylor.

Subs not used: Mason, Hall.

Share this post