Report: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Leamington

  • Leamington with best chances in first half
  • Oyibo nets winner twelve minutes from time
  • Moors within one point of play-off places

Attendance: 1155

Spennymoor Town 1

Oyibo 78

Leamington 0

Jude Oyibo netted another late winner to secure an imperative three points for Spennymoor, closing the gap to the play-off’s to one point in the process.

Oyibo kept his cool to find the top corner twelve minutes from time, breaking Leamington’s stubborn resistance and moving Moors above Hereford in a congested National League North table.

The contest was delayed by an hour and fifteen minutes after Leamington’s coach broke down en-route to County Durham, with the match commencing at a later time of 4.15pm.

The Brakes, who are safe from relegation but adrift of the chasing play-off pack, began with an edge with Jack Edwards getting involved in a needless tussle with James Curtis.

Kenton Richardson almost popped up at the back post with a timely opener for Moors after James Mace had fouled Glen Taylor, but the full back couldn’t stretch to reach a deep free-kick.

Taylor, so often the hero in an attacking sense, proved his defensive prowess when he denied a certain goal for centre back Jack Lane.

After Jordan Amissah failed to punch a lofted ball into the area away, he presented the ball to Lane who’s shot from a mere few yards out was cleared by Taylor.

That opening provided Leamington with an injection of confidence, with Joe Parker sliding Dan Turner’s cross wide minutes later.

The chances were at a premium for Moors with Leamington continuing to provide the game’s highlights, this time Stephan Morley flashing a shot wide via a deflection.

Spennymoor were almost made to pay for a defensive mix up ten minutes before the interval when Turner was alive to a loose ball, but the striker rolled his shot wide of the mark.

Claudio Ofosu, starting for the first time for Moors in the league, created a glaring opening for Taylor when his cross found the striker, but his header zipped inches wide of the post.

Moors came close to opening the scoring within seconds of the restart when Oyibo latched on to Taylor’s headed flick, but the winger snapped a shot wide.

The first ten minutes of the second half were a marked improvement from Spennymoor, with Joe Tait’s looped effort from a corner tickling the crossbar.

Moors’ growing momentum was halted when the referee adjudged James Curtis’ strong challenge to be worthy a yellow card, despite the central defender clearly winning the ball.

The introduction of Ryan Hall 25 minutes from time brought encouragement, with the winger’s delivery finding the head of Taylor, but Callum Hawkins was equal to the effort.

The deadlock was finally broken twelve minutes from time when the ball fell kindly to Jude Oyibo in the area, and with the goalkeeper to beat, the winger kept his composure and arrowed a shot into the top corner.

Spennymoor Town : Amissah, Richardson, Tait, Curtis (C), Pye (Hindson 90), Spokes, Brierley, Ramshaw, Ofosu (Hall 66), Taylor, Oyibo (Mason 90).

Subs not used: Flatters

Leamington: Hawkins, Meredith, Morley, Clarke, Mace, Lane, Parker (Williams), Walker (Gittings), Turner, Edwards (C) (English), Kelly-Evans.

Subs not used:Bushaj, Taylor

Share this post