Report: Spennymoor Town 1-0 Hereford

  • Tight first half ends goalless in tense affair
  • Thewlis taps in winner twenty two minutes from time
  • Moors two points behind Boston in final play-off spot

Attendance: 1294

Spennymoor Town 1

Thewlis 68

Hereford 0

Jordan Thewlis’ second half goal ensured Spennymoor’s pursuit of the play-off places will go down to the final week of the season following a vital win over Hereford.

Following a tepid first half display in which Hereford were the more dominant force, Moors rallied after the interval to claim a deserved three points and effectively end The Bulls’ hopes of a top seven finish.

Hereford made the brighter start on an afternoon which would have huge ramifications in the race to secure a play-off place.

Despite their dominance, Andre Wright’s tame header just shy of the twenty minute mark was the only glimmer of action witnessed at either end.

Spennymoor were forced into an early change when Jude Oyibo’s afternoon was ended by injury, meaning a change of formation with the arrival of Luke Spokes.

Ben Pollock got a head to a Hereford free-kick to force Jordan Amissah into action for the first time, with Moors’ keeper palming the effort round the post.

Moments of quality were on short supply for Moors until two shots in the space of a minute, one blocked by Pollock and the other straight at Brandon Hall from Glen Taylor.

Ryan Hall was the next to try his luck for Spennymoor ten minutes before the interval, but his long range strike was too close to the gloves of Hall.

Moors emerged from the half time break reinvigorated and almost led when Spokes’ cross almost found its way in, before Joe Tait fired wide from distance.

Hereford found their feet despite a sluggish opening five minutes of the second half, striking the post through full back Seb Revan following a driving run.

A more open contest swung back up the other end when Taylor leapt highest in the area and connected superbly with Hall’s high cross, only for Hall to pull off a superb save to deny a certain opening goal.

Hall made a crucial intervention at the other end just after the hour mark, galloping back to deny Tom Owen-Evans a clear strike on goal after a corner was cleared up field.

Kenton Richardson was the next Spennymoor player to be denied by the excellence of Hall in the Hereford net, seeing his goal bound header from a pinpoint corner.

The growing pressure on the Hereford goal finally buckled as Spennymoor took the lead twenty two minutes from time.

An excellent Hall cross found the head of Taylor who’s header was again stopped on the line by Hereford’s keeper, but, with time seemingly coming to a halt, Thewlis reacted quickest to tap in from a yard out.

Taylor’s personal battle with Brandon Hall continued with the goal keeper again coming out on top when he clawed away the striker’s header, before Rob Ramshaw curled a shot just wide of the post as the game became stretched.

Spennymoor Town: Amissah; Richardson, Curtis, Tait, Pye ; Ramshaw, Chandler (Anderson 66), Hall; Oyibo (Spokes 22), Thewlis (Preston 78), Taylor.

Subs not used: Ofosu, Flatters.

Hereford: Hall, Hodgkiss, Haines, Egan, Owen-Evans, Storey, Lloyd (Touray 90), Pollock, Revan, Pinchard (Klukowski 77), Wright (Vincent 77).

Subs not used: Patten, Njie.

Share this post