Report: Moors 1 AFC Telford United 1

Mark Anderson scored another stunner as Spennymoor Town came from behind to claim a point against AFC Telford United at The Brewery Field on Saturday afternoon.

The midfield ace, fresh from netting in the draw at Hereford last weekend, came to the rescue again with just over 15 minutes remaining, with an incredible 35-yard effort which flew into the top corner of the net.

It was nothing more than Moors deserved for the part they played in a frenetic and competitive encounter which saw no fewer than eight yellow cards dished out by the referee.

A combative opening half which was rich on endeavour but lacking in clear cut chances saw Scott Duxbury come close to celebrating his home debut with a goal when he arrived on the edge of the box on to a loose ball only to fire just over.

Anderson also had a decent opening when he drilled a shot on goal which was blocked and he couldn’t readjust his body quickly enough to force the rebound on target.

At the other end, Telford’s Devarn Green was a constant menace, and he could have broken the deadlock after seizing on some hesitation in Moors defence only to drill a low shot just wide of the post.

Glen Taylor, who had to work hard for any sense of an opening against centre-backs Harry Flowers and Matt Brown, almost opened the scoring early in the second half after good work from Duxbury but keeper Luke Pilling came out quickly to block his stabbed effort.

Just after the hour, The Bucks went in front. A free-kick 30 yards from goal was whipped over the wall by full-back Matt Carson and found its way in to the net via the inside of Metcalfe’s post.

The visitors thought they had done enough but on 73 minutes the ball fell kindly for Anderson 35 yards from goal on the right of the area and he unleashed an unstoppable effort which flashed across goal and into the far top corner of the net.

Moors could even have won it when James Curtis headed over from a corner just afterwards, while substitute Charlie Watt also had a goalbound drive blocked.

However, honours were even at the end of another sweltering afternoon and Moors remain unbeaten as they head into Tuesday night’s home game with Alfreton Town.

Full Time: Spennymoor Town 1 AFC Telford United 1

Spennymoor Town: Metcalfe, Cousin-Dawson, Tait, Curtis, Duxbury, Wheatley (Greenfield 70), Anderson, Oyibo (Watt 77), Ramshaw, Thewlis, Taylor.
Subs not used: Lufudu, Chandler, Payne.

Booked: Wheatley (39), Duxbury (52), Cousin-Dawson (61), Anderson (85), Taylor (90).

AFC Telford United: Pilling, Piggott, Flowers, Brown, Carson, Nolan, Ekpolo, McLintock (Evans 83), Moore (C Baker 65), Blissett (Waite 87), Green.
Subs not used: Dugmore, L Baker.

Booked: McLintock, Carson, Pilling.

Referee: James Bancroft

Attendance: 1,353 (27 Telford)

Share this post