Report: Moors 0 Alfreton Town 0

Moors recorded their third successive draw of the new National League North campaign but were left scratching their heads at only picking up a point against ten-man Alfreton Town on Tuesday.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s men laid siege to their visitors’ goal, hitting the woodwork no fewer than five times throughout a one-sided contest at The Brewery Field.

The Reds – also coming into the game off two draws – were on the back foot early on and their assignment was made more difficult midway through the first half when skipper Conor Branson was shown a red card following an altercation with Moors’ James Curtis.

With a man advantage, Moors almost completely dominated possession and created numerous clear opportunities to break the deadlock, but a mixture of determination and good fortune saw the visitors hang on to take a share of the spoils back to Derbyshire.

Town were on the front foot from the off and had appeals for a penalty waved away inside two minutes as Jude Oyibo darted towards the touchline and went down under pressure.

However, it was Alfreton who had the first shot on goal when Fraser Preston – younger brother of Moors star, Jordan – curled an effort just over the bar as Billy Heath’s men looked to settle into the game.

Glen Taylor had the ball in the net on five minutes after great work from Jordan Thewlis, only to be denied by the offside flag though it looked a close call.

Moors striker Taylor got even closer on 11 minutes when he met Scott Duxbury’s inch-perfect cross with his head only to see the downward effort bounce back off the post.

On 23 minutes, Thewlis was upended as he looked to break by Alfreton’s Branson and then got involved in an unsavoury incident which saw him appear to lash out at Moors skipper Curtis. Referee Darius Bradley was well placed to judge the incident a red card.

Taylor struck another shot just over the bar before then hitting the woodwork again on 26 minutes when he turned skillfully on the edge of the area and seeing his powerful drive crack back off the base of the same post he’d hit previously.

Alfreton got through to the break intact, but Moors came out flying at the start of the second half and Taylor again found space to shoot following good work from Danny Greenfield but this time the effort flew wide.

Just four minutes after the restart the woodwork came to Alfreton’s rescue again when Rob Ramshaw unloaded with a powerful drive from 25-yards which cannoned back off the bar.

The visitors rallied and drew a save from Moors keeper Max Metcalfe when Dayle Southwell was able to run on to Tom Denton’s flick-on.

However, Moors quickly got back on the front foot as Mark Anderson drilled an effort just wide before substitute Charlie Watt saw his goalbound drive brilliantly cleared off the line by defender Dominic Smith.

Watt tested goalkeeper George Willis again with a long-range drive before Ramshaw then released Taylor through on goal only for his shot to once again hit the crossbar and come back to safety.

Duxbury then motored forward and found space inside the area to drive a low effort on goal which was again cleared off the line by a determined defender as Moors began to consider that it wasn’t going to be their night.

There was almost late drama when a ball flashed across the Alfreton goalmouth to the back post where Joe Tait stretched to connect with it but was unable to divert it into the goal and Alfreton survived to take a point.

Full Time: Moors 0 Alfreton Town 0

Moors: Metcalfe, Cousin-Dawson, Duxbury, Tait, Curtis, Greenfield, Anderson (Watt 59), Ramshaw, Oyibo, Thewlis, Taylor.
Subs not used: Lufudu, Chandler, Wheatley, Payne.

Alfreton Town: Willis, Lund, Wilder, Cantrill, Smith, Wiley, F Preston (D Preston 51), Branson, Denton (Rhead 76), Southwell, Hobson.
Subs not used: Whitham, Askew, Dockerty.

Booked: Cantrill (39), Smith (41).

Sent-off: Branson (23).

Referee: Darius Bradley

Attendance: 1,244 (16 Alfreton)

Share this post