Report: Kidderminster Harriers 4 Moors 1

Moors fell to their first defeat of the season as impressive Kidderminster Harriers came from behind to claim all three points at Aggborough on Saturday afternoon.

Glen Taylor smashed home his first goal of the campaign inside sixty seconds to hand Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s men a dream start, but the host reacted well and came roaring back to win.

There was one change to the Moors starting line-up from the one which began in the Bank Holiday win at Leamington as skipper James Curtis was restored to the heart of the defence.

There was less than a minute on the clock when Moors won a free-kick 30 yards from goal and Taylor ran on to it and lashed home a low finish into the bottom left corner to open the scoring.

However, Harriers responded quickly and could have been on level terms almost immediately when the dangerous Ashley Hemmings cut inside from the right only to fire his shot across goal and wide.

The equaliser did come on 10 minutes though. A free-kick for Harriers at around the same range as Taylor’s provided former Moors man Nathan Lowe with the opportunity to shoot and his swerving drive skidded past Max Metcalfe for 1-1.

Curtis had a half chance to restore Moors lead when he stretched to get on the end of a deep Joe Wheatley corner but his half volley flew too high to trouble home keeper Tom Palmer.

Metcalfe pawed another deflected striker from Lowe round the post but it was only brief respite because centre-back Krystian Pearce got on the end of the resultant corner to power home a header and hand Harriers the lead for the first time on 37 minutes.

The home side began the second half well too and built up some pressure on the Moors defence, though there was an opportunity for Danny Greenfield at the other end which he fired over the bar.

Harriers’ third goal arrived on 60 minutes though when Moors failed to fully clear a ball into the box and Ethan Freemantle spun swiftly to bury a low shot beyond the helpless Metcalfe.

On 66 minutes it got worse for Moors. Pushing forward to try and find a route back into the game, they were caught out on the break as Keziah Martin drilled a ball into the path of Hemmings down the right and he drove into the area before firing low past Metcalfe.

Hemmings could have scored again when he prodded another effort just wide, while Wheatley drove an effort over the bar following good work on the edge of the box from Moors substitute Charlie Watt.

Metcalfe then produced a smart save in injury time to prevent more pain for Moors as he got down well to turn Hemmings’ low shot round the post.

Full Time: Kidderminster Harriers 4 Moors 1

Kidderminster Harriers: Palmer, Richards, Knight-Percival, Pearce, Lowe (Brown 69), Hemmings, Ceesay (Rogers 85), Foulkes, Martin, Freemantle (Morgan-Smith 87), Byrne.
Subs not used: Margetson, Bearne.

Booked: Pearce (22), Lowe (43).

Moors: Metcalfe, Cousin-Dawson, Curtis, Tait, Duxbury, Greenfield (Preston 73), Wheatley, Ramshaw, Oyibo (Watt 59), Thewlis (Payne 79), Taylor.
Subs not used: Ledger, Cummings.

Booked: Oyibo (51), Tait (73), Cousin-Dawson (90)

Referee: Stuart Morland

Attendance: 1,974 (42 Spennymoor Town)

Photo Credit: Clive Jones (Kidderminster Harriers)

Share this post