Report: Clitheroe 2 Moors 0

Moors were knocked out of the FA Cup in disappointing circumstances as two first half goals secured Clitheroe’s passage in to the Third Qualifying Round at Shawbridge.

Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s men improved after the break, but the damage had already been done and it will be the Northern Premier League Division One West side who will be in the hat for Monday’s draw.

With Finn Cousin-Dawson ineligible for the competition under the rules of his loan, Michael Ledger was restored to Moors’ starting line-up for the trip to Lancashire.

However, it was the hosts who looked the more energetic in the opening stages and Callum Leigh sounded a warning shot when he fired over from long range.

Moors’ first attack of menace came through good work by Jordan Thewlis down the left who then slipped the ball into the path of Jude Oyibo, but his low effort was well saved by home keeper Chris Thompson.

Clitheroe skipper Ross Dent nodded a tame effort straight at Max Metcalfe on 22 minutes but moments later the home side went in front. A corner was only partially cleared and when the ball was delivered back into the box, defender Cameron Lancaster was well placed to fire home.

It could have got worse just after the half hour when he escaped down the right as Moors were left exposed once again, but he drilled a low shot across goal and wide.

On the stroke of half time the home side did double their lead. Another ball into the box caused problems and, when it was headed back across the six-yard box, danger man Sefton Gonzales was there to bundle the ball into the net.

Moors responded with a double change at half time as John Lufudu and Charlie Watt introduced and the former made an immediate impact down the right where he was always positive in possession.

Lufudu underlined his threat with a shot just wide, before Glen Taylor sent a left-footed volley just wide of the upright after a clever turn on the edge of the penalty area.

At the other end, Metcalfe had to be alert to get across his line to turn Reece Webb-Forster’s curling free kick round the post as Clitheroe looked to finish the tie off.

However, there was a huge chance for Moors midway through the second half when Lufudu again made good ground down the right before crossing low to the far post where Thewlis somehow managed to send his effort up and away from goal.

Rob Ramshaw struck an effort just wide and Joe Tait blasted over the bar after a scramble from a corner as Moors got desperate near the end but they could not find a way through and it the home side who celebrated the victory.

Full Time: Clitheroe 2 Moors 0

Clitheroe: Thompson, Cummings, Pugh, Baker, Lancaster, Priestley, Cane (Edwards 88), Leigh (Wilkins 82), Gonzales, Dent, Webb-Forster.
Subs not used: Brown, Azam, Bristol.

Booked: Pugh (81).

Moors: Metcalfe, Duxbury (Lufudu 46), Tait, Curtis, Ledger, Wheatley, Ramshaw, Oyibo (Greenfield 67), Preston (Watt 46), Thewlis, Taylor.
Subs not used: Flatters, Cummings, Short, Payne.

Booked: Wheatley (58), Watt (81), Curtis (87).

Referee: David McNamara

Attendance: 638

Share this post