Report: Kettering Town 2 Moors 1

Moors fell to their second successive National League North defeat as Kettering Town came from a goal down to claim all three points at Latimer Park.

John Lufudu’s first goal of the season in first half injury time had put Jason Ainsley’s side in the driving seat but The Poppies levelled just after the break and then won it ten minutes from time.

Moors came out of the traps quickly and were on the front foot in the early stages, nearly going in front when Mark Anderson pinched possession high up the field before curling a shot just wide.

John Lufudu then had a half chance when the ball was worked well across to the right-hand side, but his powerful shot flashed over the top.

The home side were struggling to create anything clear cut, but they did have a sight on goal when the ball fell kindly for Ethan Hill only for the midfielder to fire too high.

Joe Tait then popped up in an unorthodox position on the right wing to send a teasing cross into the far post, but Scott Duxbury couldn’t keep his header down.

Six minutes before the break Moors almost went ahead in spectacular fashion when Tait let fly with a superb curling effort from 25 yards only for Poppies keeper Harrison Foulkes to produce a stunning fingertip save.

However, Jason Ainsley’s men did go in 1-0 up at half time when Duxbury kept a ball into the box alive and forced it towards goal where Lufudu gleefully rifled it home from close range.

Moors came out second half hoping to grind out a victory but if they thought they would have it all their own way they were given a warning inside the first minute when a low free kick from Ward was kicked clear by Bellagambi before Stohrer’s shot was deflected wide.

However, Moors failed to heed that warning when, from the resultant corner, Brad Gascoigne was left free at the far post, and he headed powerfully past Bellagambi to level the game at 1-1.

The setback seemed to knock the stuffing out of Moors and the home side could have gone in front on 53 minutes when Ben Sault pinched possession before sending his shot just wide.

Ainsley’s side tried to clear their heads and could have gone back in front on 70 minutes when Mark Anderson’s corner found Tait unmarked, but the defender headed his effort over.

The decisive moment arrived 10 minutes from time though when The Poppies made it 2-1. The dangerous Ward was allowed to charge through the middle of Moors defence before slotting a cool finish into the bottom corner.

Charlie Watt saw a shot on goal deflected into the path of fellow substitute Danny Greenfield who hooked an effort towards the net only to see it sneak wide.

Moors were desperately unlucky not to snatch a point in the final minute when substitute Tom Allan crashed an effort at goal which came back off the underside of the bar before Anderson saw a shot parried by the keeper to Greenfield who flashed a shot over.

Full Time: Kettering Town 2 Moors 1

Kettering Town: Foulkes, Sault, White, Cooper, Toseland, Gascoigne, Hill (Bennett 74), Stohrer, Graham (Lewthwaite 64), Ward, Bakare.
Subs not used: Hogg, Agustien, MacDonald.

Booked: Graham (61), Toseland (87)

Moors: Bellagambi, Lufudu, Duxbury, Tait (Watt 84), Curtis, Thewlis (Allan 67), Cousin-Dawson (Greenfield 60), Ledger, Anderson, Ramshaw, Taylor.
Subs: Flatters, Chandler.

Referee: Ben Wyatt

Attendance: 651

Photo Credit: Peter Short

Share this post