Report: Moors 2 Banbury United 1

Glen Taylor scored his 150th goal for the Club as Moors came roaring back from 1-0 down to defeat Banbury United to clinch their first home win of the season.

The Moors ace brought the team level with a deflected free-kick in the first half before confidently ramming home a penalty after the break to turn the game on its head and earn three precious points.

Boss Jason Ainsley shook things up by handing debuts to Reece Kendall and Dylan Boyle who both arrived at the Club earlier in the week, while Niah Payne was among the substitutes after returning from a loan spell at Warrington Rylands.

Moors set the tone for their performance in the first minute when they almost caught their visitors cold with the opening goal, but Tom Allan’s driven shot flashed into the front post side netting.

Banbury, sitting third in the table prior to kick-off, settled into the game though and went in front on 10 minutes when some neat football on the edge of the area freed Henry Landers and he coolly slotted a finish under Gio Bellagambi.

Rather than feel sorry for themselves, Moors set about finding a way back and they were on level terms on 20 minutes when Taylor won and then despatched a 25-yard free-kick – though it did take a wicked deflection in what was possibly an overdue moment of good fortune for the front man.

It was developing into an absorbing contest with both sides playing some nice football at times, despite the blustery conditions though some good defending meant clear cut chances were at a premium.

The Puritans created the first opening of the second half when the dangerous Ben Acquaye drifted inside from the left before firing a shot high and wide.

Rob Ramshaw then showed great tenacity on the edge of the Banbury box to slip a ball into the feet of Taylor, but he couldn’t keep his shot down and it flew far too high.

However, on the hour a great move saw Ramshaw fed on the right side and when he chopped inside of his man he was brought down in the area, allowing Taylor to ram home his milestone goal from the penalty spot.

There was a hairy moment at the other end a few minutes later when the referee adjudged Joe Tait to have passed back to Bellagambi but some brave defending ensured the free-kick from around eight yards was charged down and cleared.

Taylor could have capped a memorable afternoon with a hat-trick when he ghosted in at the back post to meet Finn Cousin-Dawson’s deep cross, but he sent his header a yard too high.

Jack Stevens almost levelled things up after more intricate passing released him down the right of the area, but his drilled low shot kissed the far post on its way wide.

Moors were forced to defend with determination right to the end and really earned their three points with a cheer comprising as much from relief as joy heard at the final whistle.

Full Time: Moors 2 Banbury United 1

Moors: Bellagambi, Cousin-Dawson, Tait, Ledger, Kendall, Boyle, Greenfield (Anderson 77), Ramshaw, Allan (Payne 75), Thewlis (Forbes 86), Taylor.
Subs not used: Lufudu, Duxbury.

Banbury United: Harding, Radcliffe, Williams, Brown, Dugmore (Roberts 75), Babos, Smile, Acquaye, Stevens, Spasov, Landers.
Subs not used: Taylor, Hawtin.

Referee: J Mulligan

Attendance: 1,168 (53 Banbury)

Share this post