Report: Peterborough Sports 1 Moors 1

Moors were forced to accept a share of the spoils as Peterborough United grabbed a late leveller at The Bee Arena on Saturday afternoon.

Jason Ainsley’s side looked on course for three points after John Lufudu smashed home his third goal of the season early on, but the hosts fought back to grab a draw despite going down to the ten men in the second half.

Lufudu as back in the starting line-up after suspension, while Mark Anderson was also restored following illness as Ainsley had to do without injured trio Tom Allan, Paul Blackett and Isiah Cornet.

And Lufudu’s return paid instant dividends as he ran on to an incisive through ball from Elliot Forbes to lift a first-time finish into the top corner of the net on 13 minutes.

Sports reacted positively and produced moments of danger through experienced front man Michael Gash and dangerous wide man Dion Sembie-Ferris, though they struggled to find a way to trouble Gio Bellagambi.

Indeed, it was Moors who felt most hard done by not to score the next goal, especially on the stroke of half time when Anderson picked the pocket of a defender and looked odds on to double the lead only for keeper Peter Crook to make a big save.

Ainsley’s side made a strong start to the second half too, with Rob Ramshaw full of running and the visiting fans making plenty of noise from behind the goal.

It could have been 2-0 just after the hour when Ramshaw escaped through on goal and squared for Glen Taylor. The front man showed great composure to cut inside on his left foot but then saw a low drive come back off the post and the hosts survived.

Reece Kendal was next to try his luck for Moors, when the ball fell kindly on the left of the area but he stung a powerful shot just wide of Crook’s upright.

Things got even more difficult for Sports on 74 minutes when Dan Jarvis – earlier booked for a deliberate handball – was shown a second yellow, presumably for dissent, and the hosts were down to ten men.

The red card seemed to galvanise Peterborough though and they immediately got on the front foot, coming close to levelling when Bellagambi was forced into a wonderful save to deny substitute Sano-Sani from a right-wing corner.

However, the hosts did equalise with ten minutes remaining as a ball in from the right fell from the grasp of Moors’ on-loan keeper and Sano-Sani was in the right place to profit and convert for 1-1.

Lufudu could have had the final say when he showed great ability to dribble past the full-back and deliver a dangerous cross into the area but nobody in Moors colours could deliver a decisive touch.

Full Time: Peterborough Sports 1 Moors 1

Peterborough Sports: Crook, Williams Lowe, Johnson, Fryatt, Bazeley, Lawlor, Sembie-Ferris (Sano-Sani 49), Kennedy, McCammon, Jarvis, Gash (M Jones 66).
Subs not used: R Jones , Fox.

Booked: Jarvis, Bazeley.

Sent-off: Jarvis.

Moors: Bellagambi, Lufudu, Curtis, Cousin-Dawson, Ledger, Kendall, Forbes, Anderson (Greenfield 75), Boyle, Ramshaw, Taylor.
Subs: Flatters, Tait, Cummings, Preston.

Booked: Boyle, Anderson, Lufudu.

Referee: James Westgate

Attendance: 280

Share this post