Report: Brackley Town 2 Moors 1

Ten-man Moors suffered a frustrating defeat against league-leaders Brackley Town despite Tom Allan putting them in front early on at St James Park on Saturday.

The on-loan star blasted Jason Ainsley’s side 1-0 up on 17 minutes with his first goal for the Club but the hosts reacted strongly in the second half to come from behind to take three points.

Moors boss Ainsley handed debuts to his trio of new signings, with Corey McKeown, Lewis Thompson and Elliott Whitehouse all starting against The Saints.

It was the hosts who got on the front foot in the early stages but only had a tame near post flick from Adam Rooney which didn’t trouble Gio Bellagambi to show for their efforts.

Moors looked good on the counter and went in front when Allan’s right-wing corner was cleared back out to him, and he drove into the penalty area before unleashing a fierce strike past Town keeper Danny Lewis.

The goal seemed to knock the hosts out of their stride and it took them some time to rediscover their composure as Moors began to enjoy a little more possession.

Roger Johnson’s side should probably have levelled on the half hour when good work from Riccardo Calder down the left presented a great chance for Shepherd Marombedzi but he struck a shot off the underside of the bar and Moors cleared.

Saints boss Johnson was then shown a red card by the referee as their frustrating at being behind bubbled over towards half time with the hosts unable to further threaten Bellagambi’s goal.

It was always likely that Brackley would come out fighting after the break and they didn’t disappoint, Murombedzi heading on goal from six yard only for Joe Tait to produce a wonderful goal line clearance.

Moors continued to carry a presence on the counter and came close to punishing Brackley when debutant Whitehouse sprinted down the left only for his cross to be cut out by a defender before It reached Allan in the middle.

More good work from Ainsley’s men saw the excellent Rob Ramshaw feed Glen Taylor and his inventive flick round the corner freed Allan on the right of the box who drilled a shot agonisingly wide.

It was to prove a pivotal moment as, just 60 seconds later it was 1-1. A corner from Martin Woods came in from the right and was kept alive in the middle by Brackley and nudged into the path of Adam Rooney who smashed a low shot past Bellagambi.

Callum Stead could have put The Saints in front midway through the second half when he cut inside menacingly from the left before sending a curling effort on goal which came back off the bar.

However, Moors were reduced to ten men on 72 minutes when James Curtis arrived late on danger man Cosmas Matwassa and the referee showed him a second yellow card.

The winning goal arrived nine minutes from time when Murombedzi’s measured cross to the far post was met perfectly by Stead to nod home and put the home side in front.

Stead drew a good save from Bellagambi after strong work from Town substitute Levi Amantchi as Moors were forced to press forward in search of an equaliser.

And they had Bellagambi to thank again deep into stoppage time when he again denied Stead with a fingertip save onto the post as Moors fell to a slender defeat.

Full Time: Brackley Town 2 Moors 1

Moors: Lewis, Carline, Walker (Callinane-Liburd 73), Woods (Armson 76), Calder, Dean, Matwasa, Richards, Rooney (Amantchi 82), Stead, Murombedzi.
Subs not used: Armson, York, Yusuf.

Booked: Carline, Richards, Stead.

Moors: Bellagambi, Lufudu, Tait, Curtis, Thompson, Ramshaw, Boyle. Whitehouse, McKeown (Ledger 73), Allan, Taylor (Payne 82).
Subs not used: Flatters, Kendall, Wheatley.

Booked: Curtis.

Sent-off: Curtis.

Referee: Richard Holmes

Attendance: 545

Share this post