Report: Moors 2 Scarborough Athletic 2

Connor Shanks climbed off the bench to score a sensational injury-time equaliser as ten-man Moors twice came from behind to take a point against Scarborough Athletic.

The 20-year-old raced on to Glen Taylor’s flick-on and danced his way skilfully into the box before ramming home a composed finish to tie the game up at 2-2 and rescue a draw with time ticking away.

It was nothing more than Moors had deserved for a performance full of determination and desire, if not their usual rhythm and poise in possession.

Scarborough had taken the lead on the half-hour when the dangerous Kieran Weledji had stormed forward down the right to whip a low cross into the area which was turned home by a Moors defender at the front post.

However, Moors responded in a positive manner and were back on level terms just before the break when a deep corner from the right was nodded back towards goal by Taylor and Rob Ramshaw was able to flick it home from close range.

The debate around the award of a corner raged until after the half time whistle and referee Matthew McQuillan showed a yellow and then a red card to Scarborough boss Jonathan Greening who took his complaints too far.

The visitors came out fighting at the start of the second half and were back in the lead within five minutes when Reece Kendall tripped Ciaran McGuckin in the box and Michael Coulson drove in the resultant spot kick.

Paul Blackett thrashed a shot just over for Moors as they looked for a route back into the game but they were thankful to some wonderful defending from Ryan Wombwell when he blocked a thunderous shot from Coulson.

The game took another twist on 76 minutes when Bobby Faulkner went in for a strong challenge on the halfway line. Although he was late, there was astonishment from the home crowd when the referee reached for his red card and reduced Moors to ten men.

Substitute McCauley Snelgrove was always positive in possession and he drove into space to let fly with a shot but it was gathered by the keeper Joe Cracknell.

It looked as though the game was over for Moors when a stretching Taylor saw his prodded effort saved by Cracknell after good work from Kendall in the air.

But Shanks stepped up right at the death to deliver a memorable moment for Moors and ensure the game finished 2-2 – just as it did when the sides met in Scarborough earlier in the campaign.

Full Time: Moors 2 Scarborough Athletic 2

Moors: Langley, Wombwell, Faulkner, Curtis, Kendall, Lufudu (Snelgrove 69), Ross, Ramshaw, McKeown (Tait 77), Blackett (Shanks 90), Taylor.
Subs not used: Flatters, Anderson.

Sent-off: Faulkner (76).

Scarborough Athletic: Cracknell, Weledji, Qaulter, Gooda, Burton, Jackson, Maloney, Glynn, Colville (Charles 84), McGuckin (Heslop 72), Coulson.
Subs not used: Watson, Wiles.

Booked: Maloney (33).

Referee: Matthew McQuillan

Attendance: 1,472 (332 Scarborough)

Share this post