Report: Moors 2 Chorley 1

Glen Taylor and Paul Blackett were both on target as Moors came from behind to defeat Chorley at The Brewery Field on Saturday.

It was Moors’ first win in four and helped them close the gap on the National League North’s top seven as they recovered from falling a goal behind inside two minutes to The Magpies.

Jason Ainsley restored Lebrun Mbeka as part of a three-man defence following a hamstring problem, while Mark Anderson returned in midfield after shaking off Achilles trouble.

However, Moors got off the worst possible start when a hanging corner from the left fell kindly for Jon Ustabasi and his deflected looped past Dan Langley to give Chorley the lead with less than 90 second on the clock.

It could have taken the wind out of Moors but instead it served to inspire them and they went on to deliver one of their most dominant halves of football so far this season to turn the game on its head.

Glen Taylor powered home an equaliser on eight minutes when he towered over the Chorley defence to nod in Anderson’s tantalising corner from the left.

Mbeka could have announced his return with a goal when he headed over from another Anderson corner, while a great move down the right saw John Lufudu free Rob Ramshaw but his cross was cleared by a defender before Taylor could get there.

On 27 minutes Moors were in front. More lovely football on the right saw Lufudu drive infield to feed Anderson and he threaded an incisive first-time pass through the Chorley defence to find the run of Blackett and he rammed a confident finish under keeper Matt Urwin.

The ball was in the net again two minutes before half time when Reece Kendall’s ball in from the left was brilliantly steered in by Ramshaw but the offside flag cut short the celebrations.

Chorley had a greater sense of purpose after the break but struggled to work Dan Langley in the Moors goal – indeed Blackett could have made it 3-1 just before the hour when he got away through the middle but Urwin raced from his line to save.

Moors continued to sit deep and soak up the Chorley pressure as the game became a little scrappy though Ainsley’s men still carried a threat on the break and Callum Ross’ firm strike drew a smart save from Urwin.

Urwin was beaten again on 80 minutes after Blackett turned brilliantly down the right and floated the ball across to Anderson on the left of the penalty area; he teed up the arriving Ramshaw whose low shot was destined for the net but for a heroic clearance from Magpies skipper Scott Leather.

Chorley substitute Adam Blakeman forced a full-length save from Langley in injury time but Moors protected their lead well to secure three valuable points ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Boston United.

Full Time: Moors 2 Chorley 1

Spennymoor Town: Langley, Tait, Curtis, Mbeka, Lufudu, Anderson (Shanks 86), Ross, Ramshaw, Kendall, Blackett (McKeown 90), Taylor.
Subs not used: Flatters, Ledger, Ravenhill.

Booked: Curtis (59), Ross (61).

Chorley (4-4-2): Urwin, Henley, Smith, Leather, Finney (Blakeman 86), Whitehouse, Calveley, Nolan (Shenton 66), Ustabasi, Scarborough (Johnson 66), Hall.
Subs not used: Wilson, Drench.

Booked: Leather (67).

Referee: Ben Tomlinson

Attendance: 1,232 (17 Chorley)

Share this post