Report: Boston United 1 Moors 2

Glen Taylor scored a dramatic late winner as Moors claimed a priceless victory over Boston United at The Jakemans Stadium on Tuesday evening.

The front man blasted home the rebound after seeing his initial penalty saved to ensure Moors made it six points from six and help them climb to 11th in the National League North table.

Paul Blackett’s sixth goal in his last eight games had earlier put Moors in front before Billy Chadwick’s chipped effort looked set to rescue a point for the hosts.

Michael Ledger came back into the starting eleven with Lebrun Mbeka ineligible against his former club, while new signing Jake Day was named among the substitutes.

There was early controversy in the game when Dan Langley raced to the edge of his area to deal with a long ball forward which the hosts claimed he’d handled outside the box – the referee was unmoved though and play continued.

The game was played at an extremely high tempo from the off, with a lovely playing surface helping both sides to knit some good football together during an entertaining opening half.

Moors found the breakthrough on 19 minutes. Reece Kendall was fed possession on the left and he found a yard to whip a wicked cross into the far post where Blackett got free to head home from close range.

The in-form forward could have added a second four minutes later when he latched on to a wonderful ball from Callum Ross down the right side of the area but his first time strike was blocked well by keeper Cameron Gregory.

Zak Mills was proving a threat for Boston down the right and he drove inside to fire a shot on goal but Dan Langley got down quickly to parry before gratefully diving on the loose ball.

Mark Anderson found Blackett on the right and this time the front man skilfully cut inside to find space for a shot but he couldn’t generate the power to trouble Gregory.

The Pilgrims’ best chance of the half arrived three minutes before the break when Mills was sent clear down the right and stood a cross up to Jake Wright who could only nod a header wide.

Boston began the second half with greater purpose and could have levelled within a couple of minutes when the ball fell kindly for Jordan Burrow but Langley got down to cling on to his shot.

There was a scare for the hosts on 51 minutes when they failed to fully clear a corner from the right and Taylor spun in a flash to drive a shot on goal which flew just wide of the upright.

Blackett then got clear again down the right of the penalty area and this time he decided to unselfishly square to strike partner Taylor but the home defence recovered in the nick of time to snuff out the danger.

Just after the hour it was all-square. Again the menace came from the right and when the ball fell kindly for Chadwick he weaved the right corner of the box before chipping a wonderful effort over Langley and into the far corner.

Moors almost went straight back in front when Anderson’s free-kick from the right was met firmly by Joe Tait but Gregory got down to hold on to the header.

Langley did well to save from Tom Nixon, while Moors substitute Connor Shanks couldn’t quite convert the rebound after Taylor’s powerful free-kick from 20 yards was parried by Gregory.

The game seemed to be heading towards a draw until John Lufudu brilliantly intercepted possession on the halfway line and drove towards goal. He glided past Ben Pollock before cutting the ball back to Blackett who was upended in the area, which left the referee pointing to the spot. Taylor saw his kick saved by the keeper but the loose ball dropped back into his path and he gleefully rammed home the winner.

Full Time: Boston United 1 Moors 2

Boston United: Gregory, Sephton, Platt, Shiels, Burrow (McLintock 76), Wright (Mitford 86), Atkinson, Pollock, Chadwick, Mills, Nixon.
Subs not used: Goodson, Munakandafa, Hasani.

Booked: Atkinson (54), Sephton (78)

Moors: Langley, Lufudu, Tait, Curtis, Ledger, Kendall, Ross, Anderson (Shanks 76), Ramshaw, Blackett (Wombwell 90), Taylor.
Subs not used: Flatters, McKeown, Day.

Booked: Lufudu (90)

Referee: Will Davies

Attendance: 1,134 (11 Moors)

Share this post