Report: Moors 3 Peterborough Sports 3

Jake Day came off the bench to score an equaliser in an extraordinary game at The Brewery Field which saw Moors come from three goals down to take a point against Peterborough Sports.

Jason Ainsley’s men looked dead and buried at the break as they were booed off by the home crowd with the visitors 3-0 up having hit Moors with an astonishing blast of three goals in the final six minutes of the first half.

However, the home side mounted an unlikely recovery after the break when Joe Tait and Paul Blackett both found the net before Day leapt to meet John Lufudu’s cross to clinch a point.

Ainsley made just one change to his starting eleven with Connor Shanks handed his first start in the absence of Glen Taylor, who missed out with an ankle injury.

Moors started the game brightly and could have even gone in front inside two minutes when Shanks slipped a ball through for Blackett who was only denied by some good defending.

Mark Anderson clipped a free-kick into the wall from 25 yards, while Rob Ramshaw had a couple of efforts which flashed across goal and wide as Moors continued to look the most likely scorers.

However, on 39 minutes it was Peterborough who went in front when Jordon Crawford’s shot flew across goal and was diverted past Dan Langley by Player Manager Michael Gash.

It was got worse four minutes later when Jordan Nicholson was allowed the time to cut inside from the right and he delivered a wonderful dipping effort which flew over Langley for 2-0.

And in first half injury time Peterborough added a third when Dan Jarvis escaped in behind the Moors defence and prodded a neat finish past Langley.

In truth, the start of the second half wasn’t much better for Moors, who looked a little ragged as The Turbines twice came close to extending their lead further.

But the face of the game changed on 68 minutes. Anderson lined-up to take a free-kick from 25  yards only for Joe Tait to come across and take it instead, lifting a beautiful strike over the wall and into the top corner.

On 71 minutes there was further hope for Moors as a corner from Anderson in from the left was nodded down by Ramshaw where Blackett was able to bundle home his seventh goal in nine games.

And on 76 minutes it was all-square. Lufudu produced a trademark drive to the right byline before standing up a cross to the far post where Day’s eyes lit up as he headed home from close range for 3-3.

Blackett could even have added a fourth for Moors almost immediately when he was fed in down the right of the box but his low shot was blocked by a recovering defender.

Moors had Langley to thank for a big save when he reacted quickly to block Connor Kennedy’s drive after Nicholson’s low shot had bounced out off the post.

Day had the ball in the net again in injury time after Reece Kendall’s ball across was fired in from close range but the flag had gone up for offside.

In the end the points were shared, which was at least some reward for the fantastic volunteer army of Moors fans who had been at the stadium from 7am to clear the pitch of snow and ice in order for the game to go ahead.

Full Time: Moors 3 Peterborough Sports 3

Spennymoor Town: Langley, Ledger, Tait, Curtis (Mbeka 46), Lufudu, Ross, Anderson (McKeown 73), Ramshaw, Kendall, Shanks (Day 46), Blackett.
Subs not used: Flatters, Faulkner.

Booked: Tait (48), Blackett (72)

Peterborough Sports: Crook, Johnson, Lawlor, Fryatt, Bazeley, Kennedy, Nicholson, Jarvis (Alban-Jones 61), Fox, Gash, Crawford.
Subs not used: McCammon, Jones, Williams-Lowe, Gyamfi.

Booked: Fox (27), Johnson (66)

Referee: Ben Wyatt

Attendance: 1,362 (28 Peterborough Sports)

Share this post