Report: King’s Lynn Town 3 Moors 0

King’s Lynn Town continued their quest for the National League North title at Moors’ expense as Jason Ainsley’s side fell to a 3-0 defeat at The Walks Stadium.

The scoreline didn’t truly reflect the balance of the game with Moors more than in the contest for long stages but they were ultimately undone by Tommy Widdrington’s promotion-chasers.

Ainsley was forced into changes with Harry Flatters coming in for the injured Dan Langley, while Lebrun Mbeka and Corey McKeown were both back in from the start against The Linnets.

However, there was a further blow inside three minutes as Michael Ledger picked up an ankle injury before the hosts went in front five minutes later when Michael Clunan’s right-wing corner was headed home by defender Adam Crowther.

Moors recovered from the early setbacks and began to enjoy more possession but they struggled to find a way through to cause problems for Linnets keeper Tommy Dixon-Hodge.

Mark Anderson almost found the key to unlock the home defence with a wonderful ball in behind for Rob Ramshaw but a tight offside decision went against Moors and came to King’s Lynn’s rescue.

Ben Stephens escaped down the right for King’s Lynn and got to the ball before Flatters and sent a low shot across goal which was cleared away in the nick of time by Mbeka.

There was another threat from the hosts just before the break when Stephens slipped a low ball across goal which was swept clear by John Lufudu under pressure from two arriving attackers.

Moors got on top during the early exchanges in the second half and Paul Blackett nodded a header just over from Lufudu’s cross before Blackett almost got in behind from Mbeka’s long ball only for the keeper to react quickly.

Lufudu then used his pace to scamper into space on the right of the area before thumping a cross off the outside of the near post with Dixon-Hodge looking concerned.

The home side then counter-attacked quickly and should have doubled their lead when half time substitute Jordan Ponticelli got through on the right of goal, but Flatters came out quickly to thwart him.

However, Ponticelli did soon get on the scoresheet when a corner from the left was cleared back to Clunan and his inswinging cross was helped on by the front man and into the far corner of the net.

And then Clunan himself made certain of the victory in the closing stages when he curled a free-kick over the wall from 30 yards which bounced down and in off the bar – Gold Otamoya making sure by smashing the loose ball into the net.

Full Time: King’s Lynn Town 3 Moors 0

King’s Lynn Town: Dixon-Hodge, Fleming, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coulson, Jones, Clunan, Crowther, Widdington (Hughes 79), Barrett (Cosgrave 46), Omotayo, Stephens (Ponticelli 46).
Subs not used: Blair, Callan-McFadden.

Booked: Oxlade-Chamberlain (86)

Moors: Flatters, Lufudu, Faulkner, Tait, Ledger (Ross 4 (Day 56)), Kendall, Mbeka, Anderson, Ramshaw, McKeown (Shanks 73), Blackett.
Subs not used: Wombwell, Angell.

Referee: Niall Smith

Attendance: 1,581

Share this post