Report: Moors 1 Leamington 0

Jake Day scored the only goal of the game as Moors got back on track with a battling win over Leamington at The Brewery Field on Tuesday night.

The front man came off the bench for the injured Paul Blackett to nod home the crucial goal just before the hour mark as Jason Ainsley’s men responded positively to their weekend defeat.

The Moors boss was forced to make changes for the game as Joe Wheatley came back into the starting eleven after returning from a loan spell at Whiby Town, while Ryan Wombwell and Tom Angell were both handed starts.

Moors looked the better side during the opening exchanges and could have gone in front on five minutes when Leamington keeper Ted Cann fumbled a cross but Rob Ramshaw’s goalbound shot was brilliantly cleared off the line.

Mark Anderson then played Blackett through down the right hand side and the in-form front man unloaded with a powerful strike which was well parried away by Cann.

Blackett had another sight of goal on 14 minutes following good work from Lebrun Mbeka but this time the striker fired a left-footed shot too high.

Leamington became a threat on the counter and Moors had to defend well on a number of occasions, while Harry Flatters went down bravely to smother at the feet of Ollie Hulbert.

Ryan Wombwell then ghosted in at the far post to meet Blackett’s deep cross, but his low effort was well saved by Cann as The Brakes once again survived.

Blackett was forced off five minutes before half time after taking a kick with Day the obvious replacement as he came onto the pitch to add a different dimension to Moors’ attacking.

And the big front man could have opened the scoring ten minutes after the break when the ball sat up kindly on the right of the area but he powered a volley across goal and over the bar.

However, on 57 minutes Day did get his goal. A right-wing corner from Anderson was met by the big striker and he got just about enough on it to force it over the line for 1-0.

The game became more of a battle after that, though Leamington substitute Kelsey Mooney had a great chance to level on 75 minutes but couldn’t direct his header on goal at the far post.

Moors were almost gifted a second goal seven minutes from time when Tom Meredith didn’t spot the keeper coming off his line and tried to cushion a header back to him which could have gone in but for some lightning reactions from Cann to claw it clear.

There was then a memorable moment for Moors keeper Flatters as he pulled off a wonderful save to deny Theo Streete at the far post before Jack Edwards drove the rebound over the bar.

It was the third time in succession that Moors had beaten Leamington 1-0 and this three points was enough to carry them back into the top half of the National League North table.

Full Time: Moors 1 Leamington 0

Moors: Flatters, Wombwell, Tait, Curtis, Kendall, Angell (Shanks 77), Anderson, Mbeka, Wheatley (McKeown 53), Ramshaw, Blackett (Day 40).
Subs not used: Ross, Watt.

Booked: Kendall (88)

Leamington: Cann, Meredith, Lane, Streete, Hall, Turner, Perry, Walker, Kelly-Evans (Usher-Shipway 86), Edwards, Hulbert (Mooney 71).
Subs not used: Clarke, English, Moore.

Referee: James Bancroft

Attendance: 1,171 (13 Leamington)

Share this post