Report: Banbury United 0 Moors 1

Rob Ramshaw headed home a sensational injury-time winner as Moors collected all three points at Banbury United to keep alive hopes of reaching the National League North play-offs.

It was a third consecutive victory for Jason Ainsley’s side as Ramshaw got up highest from a corner to nod a dramatic goal and set-off memorable celebrations amongst the travelling supporters.

Ainsley made one change to his starting eleven as James Curtis returned to captain the side sin the centre of the Moors defence.

Moors settled into the game well in the early stages and Paul Blackett had a couple of half chances, almost getting away in behind but for a last-ditch challenge before sending a shot just wide moment later.

Giorgio Rasulo had the first shot in anger for the home side, but Harry Flatters did very well to get down and block the shot with his legs and Moors were able to clear the danger.

John Lufudu was causing concern down the right and a typically penetrative run saw his ball across drop loose for Blackett but his powerful goalbound drive was blocked by Jay Williams.

Flatters had to remain alert to make a smart save down to his left after great work down the right from 16-year-old Oxford United loanee Aidan Elliott-Wheeler.

Kelvin Langmead got into space at the back post from a right-wing corner to take a touch and shoot on goal, but Flatters was again equal to it as he got down smartly to his right.

The best chance of the half fell to Reece Kendall just before the half hour. Another fantastic burst forward from Lufudu gave the defender space to fizz a ball across goal which found Kendall arriving at the back post to fire on goal, but keeper Jack Harding got back to make a fine save.

Ben Acquaye drove into the Moors box on the left but shot over on the stretch, while Lufudu made another dart into a dangerous area at the other end before prodding an effort wide of the far post.

The second half began slowly, and chances didn’t arrive as regularly as they had before the break, though Glen Taylor did have a decent opportunity but glanced Lufudu’s cross wide of the target.

Lufudu then burst in behind again down the right and his drilled shot was parried by Harding, with the Banbury keeper reacting sharply to block a follow-up effort from the Moors wing-back.

Reece Kendall tried to whip a cross in from the left which fell kindly for Ramshaw who dragged an effort wide, before Kendall then got on the end of a Lufudu cross only for his header to hit Taylor and drop into the hands of Harding.

Moors flung everything forward as time ticked away with Flatters waved forward for an injury time corner. The delivery went behind for another set-piece and, when Mark Anderson, swung it into the front post, Ramshaw arrived to apply the perfect touch.

The celebrations were as wild as if promotion had already been guaranteed – and next week Moors have a slim chance to maintain that dream as a reality.

Full Time: Banbury United 0 Moors 1

Banbury United: Harding, Brown, Langmead, Williams (Hawtin 85), Rasulo, Acquaye (Roberts 44), Johnson, Radcliffe, Elliott-Wheeler, Maye, Babos.
Subs not used: Talbot, Taylor, Landers.

Moors: Flatters, Lufudu, Mbeka, Curtis, Ledger (McKeown 85), Kendall, Ross (Day 85), Ramshaw, Shanks (Anderson 70), Blackett, Taylor.
Subs not used: Greaves, Angell.

Referee: Harry Warner

Attendance: 853 (70 Moors)

Share this post