Report: Moors Beaten On Penalties

Moors tasted defeat at the Stadium of Light on Wednesday night as Hebburn Town celebrated a penalty shootout win in the Durham Challenge Cup Final.

Jason Ainsley’s side looked on course to land some silverware when Rob Ramshaw stabbed home the opening goal of the game on the stroke of half time.

However, Moors failed to take advantage of creating a number of good chances to put the tie to bed and were made to pay four minutes from time when Amar Purewal nodded a leveller for The Hornets.

That took the game straight to a penalty shootout and Danny Greenfield – back from a loan spell with Scarborough Athletic – saw his spot kick saved and that proved the decisive moment.

Moors took their time to get into the game but soon took control, with Corey McKeown looking a particular threat – the attacker wriggled his way cleverly into space on 12 minutes but fired straight at the keeper.

Harry Flatters had to make a big save at the other end from Ollie Martin following a sloppy back pass from John Lufudu, while McKeown then had one cleared off the line after lobbing the keeper.

Mark Anderson fired wide, and another McKeown effort was saved before Moors went in front when a McKeown cross from the left was met by Ramshaw to prod home from close range just before the break.

Connor Shanks had a sight of goal early in the second half but clipped a shot across goal and wide, before McKeown’s low shot across the face of goal just couldn’t be forced home by Lewis Thompson.

Greenfield then saw the goal open up in front of him and let fly from the edge of the box only for Hebburn keeper Shaun Newbrook to brilliantly tip it over the bar.

James Harrison came off the bench for Hebburn and almost had an immediate impact when he cut inside from the left but curled his shot just wide of the far post.

However, Moors continued to look the more likely but Greenfield saw a shot parried by Newbrook and McKeown volleyed just wide in the closing stages.

With 86 minutes on the clock The Hornets drew level. A corner came in from the left and Purewal moved across his man at the front post to send a glancing header past Flatters to tie the game up at 1-1.

Greenfield – up second for Moors – was the only man to fail to score and that gave Harrison the opportunity to find the net and set off wild celebrations in the yellow and black half of the Stadium of Light.

Full Time: Hebburn Town 1 Moors 1 (Hebburn win 5-4 on penalties)

Hebburn Town: Newbrook, Devitt, Groves, Reid (Henderson 74), Donaghy, Thompson, Hackett (Murray 67), Spence (Phillips 83), Purewal, Martin (Moore 83), Walton (Harrison 67).

Booked: Spence.

Moors: Flatters, Lufudu, Mbeka, Curtis, Ledger, Thompson (Wombwell 71), Greenfield, Shanks, Ramshaw (Tait 58), Anderson (Watt 81), McKeown (Mouat 92).
Subs not used: Wood.

Referee: Andrew Kitchen

Attendance: 2,169

Share this post