Report: Moors 5 Southport 1

Rob Ramshaw and Glen Taylor both scored twice as Moors stormed back to form in emphatic fashion with a 5-1 drubbing of Southport at The Brewery Field on Tuesday night.

Jamie Chandler had demanded a response from his players following Saturday’s humbling at the hands of Tamworth – and they delivered in fine style as the struggling Sandgrounders were brushed aside by a relentless display.

There were perhaps a few nerves when Moors fell behind early on to a Southport penalty, but there was only one winner from the moment they dragged themselves level and it could have been a more handsome margin of victory by the end.

Chandler made two changes to his starting eleven as Sam Fielding was handed a debut in place of the injured Callum Ross, while Lebrun Mbeka was handed his first start of the season in the centre of defence.

However, Moors were on the back foot on Southport front man Marcus Carver was caught by Keenan Ferguson in the box and Declan Evans converted the penalty with just 10 minutes on the clock.

Far from feel sorry for themselves, Moors responded positively and were back level just eight minutes later when Fielding split the defence with a fine through ball and Ramshaw raced through to clinically finish.

Within six minutes Moors were in front. Another good move, this time down the left, saw Taylor provided with enough space to come inside and bend a finish beyond Southport keeper Chris Renshaw to make it 2-1.

Taylor could have added a second not long after. but it was 3-1 to Moors on the half hour when Harris scampered in behind on the left and drilled an unerring left foot shot across Renshaw and into the bottom corner of the net.

Chandler’s side seemed content to simply control the game after that, though Taylor did draw a fine save from Renshaw in the early stage of the second half.

A huge scramble inside the Moors six-yard box presented the visitors with an opportunity to reduce the arrears but the final shot was fired straight at Montgomery.

Taylor had a big chance to make it 4-1 on 71 minutes when he was put through on goal only to see his curling shot brilliantly turned away by Renshaw.

However, with 10 minutes left it was 4-1. Some lovely football around the edge of the area saw Ramshaw fed possession and he was able to divert a great finish across Renshaw and into the net.

Ramshaw could have claimed the matchball not long afterwards when he again got the better of the Southport defence only to see Renshaw get down well to deny him with a solid save.

Taylor added gloss to the win injury time though when more good football proved too good for the visitors and the iconic front man swept home his econd of the night and his fourth of thr season for 5-1.

Full Time: Moors 5 Southport 1

Moors: Montgomery, Ferguson (Staunton 80), Mbeka, Pollock, Ledger, Doherty, Greenfield (Anderson 66), Fielding, Ramshaw, Harris (Shanks 87), Taylor.
Subs not used: Curtis, McKeown.

Booked: Ferguson (9), Montgomery (71)

Southport: Renshaw, Thomson, Flowers, Evans, Doyle, Bainbridge, Quansah, Watson, Sass, Walton, Carver.
Subs not used: Anson, McMillan, Billington.

Booked: Bainbridge (8), F Hearth (57)

Referee: Zac Kettle

Attendance: 1,091 (19 Southport)

Share this post