Report: Moors 1 Bishop’s Stortford 0

Moors moved top of National League North as an own goal just before half time proved the difference in the early kick-off against Bishop’s Stortford at The Brewery Field.

Jamie Chandler’s men were good value for their win having had all the better of the chances against the division’s new boys, but they still had to defend with real determination once again at times.

With Michael Ledger nursing a slight hamstring issue, Reece Staunton returned to the side in the only change from the line-up which begun in the win at Peterborough Sports seven days previous.

And Moors looked like they wanted to start quickly too. Glen Taylor and Will Harris both had chances to score inside the first 11 minutes, while Danny Greenfield almost grabbed his third of the campaign with a 25-yard rocket which almost snuck past visiting keeper Jack Giddens.

Darren Foxley looked Bishop Stortford’s best chance of a goal and he almost produced when taking advantage of some sloppy play by Moors, charging towards the edge of the box before dragging his shot just wide.

The decisive moment arrived on 43 minutes. Sam Fielding whipped a delicious ball in from the left and Taylor was waiting in the middle to pounce before luckless visiting defender Ollie Peters got a glancing touch with his head which saw the ball flash past Giddens for 1-0.

Taylor drilled a shot wide in the early stages of the second half as Moors looked to turn the screw, but Foxley kept them on their toes at the other end when he volleyed wide when well placed at the far post.

The front man came even closer to doubling the lead on 63 minutes when Rob Ramshaw galloped into space on the right to deliver a low ball into Taylor who took a touch and smashed a shot on goal which cannoned back off the crossbar.

Harris and Fielding then both had efforts on target which were held by Giddens as Moors looked to make the most of increasing space at the back created by their visitors’ efforts to find an equaliser.

A second goal would not arrive but, crucially, there was no way through at the other end either and Chandler’s men clinched a fourth win from five to move to the summit of the division ahead of the 3pm kick-offs.

Full Time: Moors 1 Bishop’s Stortford 0

Moors: Montgomery, Ferguson (McKeown 66), Mbeka, Pollock, Staunton, Doherty, Fielding, Ramshaw, Greenfield (Ross 79), Harris, Taylor.
Subs not used: Curtis, Anderson, Shanks.

Booked: Harris (27), Doherty (55), Fielding (57)

Bishop’s Stortford: Giddens, Haines, Morrell, Thomas, Henshaw, Foxley (Walker 71), Olufemi, Skyes (Ogunwamide 46), Charles, Regis (Alexander 46), Peters.
Subs not used: Shogbeni, Howard.

Booked: Regis (36)

Referee: Lewis Dawson

Attendance: 1,131 (19 Bishop’s Stortford)

Share this post