Ladies Leave It Late To Snatch Dramatic Win

Alice Welch-Davison scored twice in injury time as Moors Ladies came from 2-1 to clinch an astonishing 3-2 win over Hull United at The Brewery Field on Sunday.

Billy Shackleton’s newly promoted side looked set for defeat in their opening home game of the season as an organised Hull outfit drove into a two-goal lead in the first half.

However, Autumn Colledge nodded Moors back into contention just before the break, then Welch-Davison smashed home a penalty to level before drilling home an incredible last-gasp winner.

Moors were well on top in the early stages of the game as Caitlin Bates and Katy Hemmingway looked a threat and pushed the visitors on to the back foot.

However, it was Hull who went in front on 13 minutes when some hesitation at the back allowed Anya Ibbotson a sight of goal and she finished clinically into the bottom corner for 1-0.

It was 2-0 midway through the first half when a corner swung from the left by Mary Lisle bypassed everyone in the middle and flew straight into the net.

Moors struggled to clear their heads from the double setback, but they did grab a lifeline on the half hour mark when Beth Enguita’s cross from the right found Autumn Colledge who brilliantly nodded home for 2-1.

Shackleton’s side then took control and could have been on level terms before the break, but Hemmingway fired a shot just over the bar in injury time.

Five minutes into the second half there was a big chance for Moors when Bates anticipated well to steal possession on the edge of the box only to drag her shot wide of the target and let Hull off the hook.

Moors threw everything forward in search of a leveller, but Hull continued to maintain a threat on the break, and Alex Saunders had to make a tidy save to prevent the visitors from restoring their two-goal advantage.

Influential midfielder Shannon Reed came close to equalising in spectacular fashion when she bullied her way into space 30 yards out, but her looping effort dropped just wide of the post.

Becca Drinkald thought she had levelled for Moors two minutes from time when she arrived onto a cross from the right only to see her firm header held by the Hull keeper.

There as an even more dramatic moment a minute later when Hull failed to deal with a corner in from the left but Coral Colledge, falling off balance, couldn’t quite convert as the ball dropped loose.

However, when Drinkald was shoved over in the box four minutes into injury time, the referee pointed to the spot and Welch-Davison held her nerve to fire a brilliant penalty into the top corner.

Hull looked deflated and Moors took full advantage. A left-wing corner caused chaos in the box, but Hannah Knox showed great composure to feed the ball into the path of Welch-Davison who drove a wonderful finish across the keeper and into the net to set of wild celebrations.

Full Time: Moors 3 Hull United 2

Moors: Saunders, Jackson, Welch-Davison, C Colledge, Enguita, C Mole, Reed, Enguita, Bates, A Colledge, Hemmingway.
Subs: McGovern, O Mole, Foster, Drinkald, Seymour.

Attendance: 278

Share this post